Re: Microsoft Numbering System

From: Alun Jones (alun_at_TEXIS.COM)
Date: 09/18/03

    Date:         Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:10:56 -0500
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    This is because the two numbers refer to different documents, with different
    contents.

    > For example, the KB numbers for some of the patches are:
    > - Office XP Security Patch: KB822036 (same as MS03-037: 822715?)

    No. KB822036 is an overview of the Office XP patch and how to install it.
    KB 822715 is, as you note, the same as the bulletin MS03-037, which is a
    description of the bug, its symptoms, and links to patches for different
    versions of the patch. Note that one of the links is to KB822036. Since
    this bulletin affects Office 2000 as well as several other individual
    products, there are links to patch information for that software - 822035,
    822212, 822478, 822211.

    > Can't M$ just use ONE and only ONE numbering system so that
    > fewer people, like me, will get confused? This is certainly
    > one of the many things that M$ needs to put some of its
    > effort in its continuous improvement.

    What you're asking for is that all the detailed information, for several
    different products and several different downloads, should be stuck into one
    massive document. I'd see that as making things _more_ confusing, not less.

    The security bulletin tells you what the general effect of the bug is, what
    software is affected by it, and how critical it is. It includes a link to
    more detailed information and patches for each of the software versions
    affected. How is this confusing?

    Alun.
    ~~~~

    --
    Texas Imperial Software   | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email
    1602 Harvest Moon Place   | alun@texis.com.

    • Re: Microsoft Numbering System
      ... the patch for each systems affected. ... in the right frame. ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Revised NAT-T XP patch (818043)
      ... Microsoft appear to have rereleased this patch without formally announcing ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Perpetual restarts after installing MS03-039 patch
      ... Last night I decided to push out the MS03-039 patch to all my 2ksp3 ... logged in as an admin user that has a roaming profile, the patch install ... With a growth rate exceeding 110%, the TICSA security practitioner certification is one of the hottest IT credentials available. ... And now, for a limited time, you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Alert: Microsoft Security Bulletin - MS03-039
      ... What do you mean by patch now? ... I say immediately because I expect to see a new worm based on either of the 2 new vulnerabilities capable of being turned into a worm. ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Alert: Microsoft Security Bulletin - MS03-039
      ... The way that Microsoft patched the new RPC Part II vulnerability ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... To learn more about the TICSA certification, ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)