Microsoft Numbering System

From: Felix Yan (fchy_at_USA.NET)
Date: 09/10/03

    Date:         Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:29:35 +0800
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Hi Russ,

    While I was downloading the patches for MS03-035, 036, 037, and 038 from the
    M$ Office Update Website, I tried to figure out whether I was actually
    downloading the correct patches but I simply couldn't. The numbering system
    that M$ used in the Security Bulletin is different from the one used in the
    Knowledge Base (i.e. KBxxxxxx). So far, I still can't find a page in the M$
    site that shows the two corresponding numbers for each patch.

    For example, the KB numbers for some of the patches are:
    - Office XP Security Patch: KB822036 (same as MS03-037: 822715?)
    - Word 2002 Security Patch: KB824934 (same as MS03-035: 827653?)
    - Office XP WordPerfect 5.x Converter Security Patch: KB824938 (English
    version) (same as MS03-036: 827103?)

    Can't M$ just use ONE and only ONE numbering system so that fewer people, like
    me, will get confused? This is certainly one of the many things that M$ needs
    to put some of its effort in its continuous improvement.

    Cheers,
    Felix

    Felix Yan, CCNA, MCP

    ----
    Are You "Certifiable"? Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER!
    With a growth rate exceeding 110%, the TICSA security practitioner
    certification is one of the hottest IT credentials available.  And now, for
    a limited time, you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! To
    learn more about the TICSA certification, and to register as a TICSA
    candidate online, just go to
    http://www.trusecure.com/offer/s0100/
    ----

    • Re: Alert: Microsoft Security Bulletin - MS03-039
      ... The way that Microsoft patched the new RPC Part II vulnerability ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... To learn more about the TICSA certification, ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Windows 2000 server issue
      ... accurately parse the lists of vulnerable machines produced by the scan ... of addresses directly on the script. ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Drivial Pursuit: Internet Explorer Browser & Your Files and Folders !
      ... The default Enhanced Security Configuration of IE ... access to files and folders on the local machine from the internet. ... With a growth rate exceeding 110%, the TICSA security practitioner certification is one of the hottest IT credentials available. ... And now, for a limited time, you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Microsoft Numbering System
      ... the patch for each systems affected. ... in the right frame. ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: SP4 Problems
      ... Rebooted numerous times, all ... Rebooting to safe mode produced an extremely slow logon, ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)