Microsoft Numbering System

From: Felix Yan (fchy_at_USA.NET)
Date: 09/10/03

    Date:         Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:29:35 +0800
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Hi Russ,

    While I was downloading the patches for MS03-035, 036, 037, and 038 from the
    M$ Office Update Website, I tried to figure out whether I was actually
    downloading the correct patches but I simply couldn't. The numbering system
    that M$ used in the Security Bulletin is different from the one used in the
    Knowledge Base (i.e. KBxxxxxx). So far, I still can't find a page in the M$
    site that shows the two corresponding numbers for each patch.

    For example, the KB numbers for some of the patches are:
    - Office XP Security Patch: KB822036 (same as MS03-037: 822715?)
    - Word 2002 Security Patch: KB824934 (same as MS03-035: 827653?)
    - Office XP WordPerfect 5.x Converter Security Patch: KB824938 (English
    version) (same as MS03-036: 827103?)

    Can't M$ just use ONE and only ONE numbering system so that fewer people, like
    me, will get confused? This is certainly one of the many things that M$ needs
    to put some of its effort in its continuous improvement.

    Cheers,
    Felix

    Felix Yan, CCNA, MCP

    ----
    Are You "Certifiable"? Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER!
    With a growth rate exceeding 110%, the TICSA security practitioner
    certification is one of the hottest IT credentials available.  And now, for
    a limited time, you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! To
    learn more about the TICSA certification, and to register as a TICSA
    candidate online, just go to
    http://www.trusecure.com/offer/s0100/
    ----