Re: ntbackup & MS SQL 2k SP3 on Server 2003

From: Harald Ums (Harald.Ums_at_T-ONLINE.DE)
Date: 09/04/03

    Date:         Thu, 4 Sep 2003 23:38:31 +0200
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Brian Bergin" <ntbugtraq.1@TERABYTE.NET>
    To: <NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM>
    Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 11:39 PM
    Subject: ntbackup & MS SQL 2k SP3 on Server 2003

    > Microsoft has confirmed to us in ticket # SRX030827607392 that if you use
    > ntbackup.exe under Windows Server 2003 (any edition) that Shadow Copy does
    > not work if you have SQL 2k SP3 installed and are using Full Recovery mode
    > for db's (the recommend recovery model). They claim that is "by design"
    > (anyone heard that before from Redmond?). This is the case even if you do
    > NOT backup any SQL related db's. So long as SQL 2k SP3 is installed Shadow
    > Copy fails. The tech working on my case also confirms that this was a
    > decision made internally during the development of 2003 but that it is
    > currently "undocumented."
    >
    > The entire time we've been hunting down the error "Error returned while
    > creating the volume shadow copy:800423f4" MS has done everything but blame
    > the kitchen sink on the problem. There are no KB articles that reference
    > that error; however, there are plenty of posts to MS newsgroups asking for
    > help on this. On almost every occasion MS blames a hardware or disk driver
    > for the error. The system that prompted our case to MS is a fully HCL'd
    > dual Xeon Dell server that came preinstalled with Server 2003. Of course,
    > MS initially blamed Dell for the problem. At around 14:00 ET today I
    > received verbal confirmation of the problem and the "solution" (putting
    > db's in Simple Recovery mode). I've asked the MS rep to put it in writing
    > and to find out of Shadow Copy fails if Oracle 9 is installed vs. MS SQL 2k
    > SP3. As of this writing, 17:30 ET, I have yet to receive any documentation
    > from Microsoft.

    I have some difficulties to understand the whole thing.
    The reproduce the problem I ran ntbackup.

    The eventlog showed an errorid=6004 Source=VSS with a text: Sqllib error: Database demo is not simple.

    So I think it should have been possible to track down to problem to the SQL database within a finite time.

    Further tests showed that the error only appears when backing up from a volume on which there a database files of a database in Full Recovery mode. Backing up all other volumes showed no error at all.
    So it is not a problem if SQL Server is installed and running - you simply cannot backup databases in Full Recovery mode using a file backup.

    It looks as if database recovery has problems with vss or does not trust vss to backup the database correctly. So I guess the database people are returning the error to vss.

    I do not see any good reason to back up the database when using Full Recovery mode with a file system backup, I would always use the database backup tool.
    So if you separate database files from all other files, you do not have any problem.

    Harald Ums

    -ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Whatever Happened to Octopus?

    LEGATO RepliStor, formerly known as Octopus, delivers breakthrough
    replication performance that's 5X faster than the competition in an
    independent head-to-head test. Learn how RepliStor uses patented,
    asynchronous, real-time replication, to deliver disaster recovery, data
    distribution and consolidated backups. It is the first replication solution
    to achieve Windows 2003 certification. Get the performance report now.

    http://portal1.legato.com/products/replistor/upgrade.cfm

    -ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

    • RE: How do I restore from mdf and ldf files?
      ... Tasks -> Backup Database ... Tasks -> Restore Database ... Windows 2003 Server with Latest Service Pack ... Pre-requisites for Sharepoint Backup and Restore: ...
    • RE: ESENT Logging
      ... SBS server 2003 has a backup job that will ... 145881 How to Use Jetpack.exe to Compact a WINS or DHCP Database ... newsgroups so that they can be resolved in an efficient and timely manner. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • RE: ESENT Logging
      ... SBS server 2003 has a backup job that will ... 145881 How to Use Jetpack.exe to Compact a WINS or DHCP Database ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • RE: Backups have Shadow Copy Problems
      ... and restarted the server. ... suggested and changed the recovery model to simple on the one database called ... I understand the issue to be: the backup task failed ... You back up data from a volume that contains a Microsoft SQL Server ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Copying a database between servers
      ... In 2000 you can backup to an UNC path ... or a local drive and the same goes for the restore. ... backup the database and then restore it on the new server. ... >>> one SQL Server 7.0 database with 'select' access to another SQL ...
      (microsoft.public.sqlserver.tools)