Re: AV/Spam Alert response messages

From: Paul Robertson (proberts_at_PATRIOT.NET)
Date: 09/02/03

    Date:         Tue, 2 Sep 2003 10:03:04 -0400

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Nick FitzGerald wrote:

    > I know that word scares the beejezus out of most of them, but it's time
    > for AV vendors of Email and other gateway scanning products to simply
    > _remove_ "send warning to sender" options from their products. We have

    I can see where attachment blocking information is sometimes important,
    and as AV gateways move to be content gateways, simple removal won't
    always work (though I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would
    want their product to prove it knows the virus, knows it spoofs, and still
    send a warning to the sender.)

    The simplest solution is to switch from notifying based on return_path to
    notifying based on forward_path. The recipient would know they didn't get
    an intended attachment, and admins would be given more oppertunities to
    disable the "feature" due to local management pressure. So, rather than
    harming a 3rd party with local policy restriction notification, it'd be
    all first-party. Heck, they could even sell the feature as notifying
    local management of their AV gateway's protective features!

    Paul D. Robertson "My statements in this message are personal opinions which may have no basis whatsoever in fact." Director of Risk Assessment TruSecure Corporation

    Whatever Happened to Octopus?

    LEGATO RepliStor, formerly known as Octopus, delivers breakthrough
    replication performance that's 5X faster than the competition in an
    independent head-to-head test. Learn how RepliStor uses patented,
    asynchronous, real-time replication, to deliver disaster recovery, data
    distribution and consolidated backups. It is the first replication solution
    to achieve Windows 2003 certification. Get the performance report now.