Re: AV/Spam Alert response messages

From: Paul Robertson (proberts_at_PATRIOT.NET)
Date: 09/02/03

    Date:         Tue, 2 Sep 2003 10:03:04 -0400
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Nick FitzGerald wrote:

    > I know that word scares the beejezus out of most of them, but it's time
    > for AV vendors of Email and other gateway scanning products to simply
    > _remove_ "send warning to sender" options from their products. We have

    I can see where attachment blocking information is sometimes important,
    and as AV gateways move to be content gateways, simple removal won't
    always work (though I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would
    want their product to prove it knows the virus, knows it spoofs, and still
    send a warning to the sender.)

    The simplest solution is to switch from notifying based on return_path to
    notifying based on forward_path. The recipient would know they didn't get
    an intended attachment, and admins would be given more oppertunities to
    disable the "feature" due to local management pressure. So, rather than
    harming a 3rd party with local policy restriction notification, it'd be
    all first-party. Heck, they could even sell the feature as notifying
    local management of their AV gateway's protective features!

    Paul
    Paul D. Robertson "My statements in this message are personal opinions
    proberts@patriot.net which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
    probertson@trusecure.com Director of Risk Assessment TruSecure Corporation

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Whatever Happened to Octopus?

    LEGATO RepliStor, formerly known as Octopus, delivers breakthrough
    replication performance that's 5X faster than the competition in an
    independent head-to-head test. Learn how RepliStor uses patented,
    asynchronous, real-time replication, to deliver disaster recovery, data
    distribution and consolidated backups. It is the first replication solution
    to achieve Windows 2003 certification. Get the performance report now.

    http://portal1.legato.com/products/replistor/upgrade.cfm

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo