X2KSpamAway Project - Programmers needed

From: Russ (Russ.Cooper_at_RC.ON.CA)
Date: 08/21/03

    Date:         Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:41:02 -0400
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Well, finally. I have been working on this with the few spare hours I have a week for several months now. My spam problem was so huge I just had to do something. I tried a variety of commercial products for desktops, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try any Exchange Server based solutions. None of what I tried worked the way I needed them to.

    I stumbled across some articles by Jason Sherry for OutlookExchange.com and found precisely what I was looking for. He wrote several VB scripts which, when placed on the Exchange Server, dealt with things as they arrived at the SMTP interface. I grabbed them, made some changes, and wrote a VB6 app to handle the administration side of things at the desktop.

    Now I'm making this available to a selected few programmers who will help me turn it into a pretty, simple, flexible, and *free* solution for everyone who has Exchange Server 2000.

    It works great for *me* now, its reduced my spam by 70% with less than 1% false detections. I've had commercial products with a higher success rate, but none with such a low false detection rate on the volume of mail I receive. There's no "Bayesian" component, no teaching it good and bad content, no RBL lookups, I think its elegant and simple. Its fast (or at least it seems to be to me), small, fairly easy to work with (which will be better after you contribute your skills.)

    Ergo, I don't want to hear from people who want to try it, yet. Let us get it cleaned up and a bit more ready for prime time first. It should be ready in a couple of weeks at the most.

    That said, if you code in VB, have some time, and are interested in a free Exchange Server based anti-spam solution for the Exchange community, drop me an email and I'll send you the source.

    Everyone who contributes will get credit. Everyone who asks for the source, gets it, and doesn't contribute, will get hauled out on the NTBugtraq carpet of shame for all list members to see. So don't ask if you're not ready to help!...;-]

    See http://www.ntbugtraq.com/x2kspamaway.asp and then email me at x2kspamaway@rc.on.ca

    Cheers,
    Russ - NTBugtraq Editor

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Whatever Happened to Octopus?

    LEGATO RepliStor, formerly known as Octopus, delivers breakthrough
    replication performance that's 5X faster than the competition in an
    independent head-to-head test. Learn how RepliStor uses patented,
    asynchronous, real-time replication, to deliver disaster recovery, data
    distribution and consolidated backups. It is the first replication solution
    to achieve Windows 2003 certification. Get the performance report now.

    http://portal1.legato.com/products/replistor/upgrade.cfm

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

    • Re: Norton Internet Security 2003 blacklist fault?
      ... Implementing host name blocking, while sounding fairly straight-forward, is ... LEGATO RepliStor, formerly known as Octopus, delivers breakthrough ... asynchronous, real-time replication, to deliver disaster recovery, data ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • hfnetFU is gone, now it is MbsaFU
      ... recipient is not a waiver of any attorney-client or work product privilege. ... LEGATO RepliStor, formerly known as Octopus, delivers breakthrough ... asynchronous, real-time replication, to deliver disaster recovery, data ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Norton Internet Security 2003 blacklist fault?
      ... Whatever Happened to Octopus? ... LEGATO RepliStor, formerly known as Octopus, delivers breakthrough ... asynchronous, real-time replication, to deliver disaster recovery, data ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Patching MS03-026 on Windows XP SP1
      ... although the registry key shows the patch as installed. ... LEGATO RepliStor, formerly known as Octopus, delivers breakthrough ... asynchronous, real-time replication, to deliver disaster recovery, data ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • New IIS security hole?
      ... index pages on sites I host at a nationally-known hosting provider began to ... LEGATO RepliStor, formerly known as Octopus, delivers breakthrough ... asynchronous, real-time replication, to deliver disaster recovery, data ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)