Re: clients contacting WU directly

From: Howard Durdle (hjd_at_HI-Q.CO.UK)
Date: 08/18/03

    Date:         Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:56:40 +0100
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    When I deployed the Windows Automatic Update feature across our domain (to
    force clients to accept updates from our local SUS machine) I also
    configured the group policy to stop users from being able to visit the
    Windows Update site. All links are removed from the desktop and Internet
    Explorer, and even if they attempt to type the URL in directly they're given
    a polite message telling them it has been disabled by their administrator.

    This way the SUS client carries on as normal, and users visiting Windows
    Update and confusing the issue is avoided.

    Howard Durdle

    --
    Howard Durdle, Network Manager, Hi-Q Systems Ltd
    email: hjd@hi-q.co.uk          tel: 01962 794200

    • Re: MS03-026 - are you patched? Windows Update isnt sure!
      ... Hoping to shed a little light on the file version checking in Windows ... querying the Windows Installer service (which amounts to a metabase or ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Microsoft Numbering System
      ... Do me a favor and load up a new Windows XP box, ... on each and every patch. ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... To learn more about the TICSA certification, and to register as a TICSA ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: clients contacting WU directly
      ... set Cryptographic Services to Automatic for Startup ... Install Windows XP SP1 again. ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • RPC DCOM still vulnerable even after applying patches
      ... windows 200 SP4 machines that "even if you apply the ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: The Rev may already be a winner!
      ... As a consultant or project basis? ... I have several years experience in corporate training, in addition to IT Consultation and full-time Senior Network Administration, implementing and maintaining Microsoft Windows Networks. ... Currently I am teaching Microsoft Official Curriculum Courses helping others to obtain Microsoft Certifications and pursue careers in the Information Technology Profession while continuing my consulting services. ... This experience combined with several industry standard certifications such as the CompTIA Security+ Certification, Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer Certification, and the Microsoft Certified Trainer ...
      (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse)