Problems with Microsoft.com pages/downloads

From: Russ (Russ.Cooper_at_RC.ON.CA)
Date: 08/18/03

    Date:         Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:30:49 -0400
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    It certainly looks like there are many people experiencing problems getting to various resources on the Microsoft site. I have had reports from Europe that people are getting an message thanking them for their interesting in Windows Update instead of getting the proper page, as if the OS detection is failing. Others are reporting that downloads linked from Microsoft Security Bulletins are not working.

    Also, I am receiving reports from people for whom SUS SP1 is *not* working.

    At this time I'm going to put all of this down to;

    1. Problems moving Microsoft pages off of their own network and onto Akami's network.

    2. People blocking DNS to windowsupdate.com (or returning the loopback adapter address), either in their own network, or via an upstream DNS provider.

    At least for now anyway, let's see if these problems persist or fade away.

    Cheers,
    Russ - NTBugtraq Editor

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Are You "Certifiable"? Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER!

    With a growth rate exceeding 110%, the TICSA security practitioner
    certification is one of the hottest IT credentials available. And now, for
    a limited time, you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! To
    learn more about the TICSA certification, and to register as a TICSA
    candidate online, just go to

    http://www.trusecure.com/offer/s0100/

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

    • Re: Alert: Microsoft Security Bulletin - MS03-039
      ... The way that Microsoft patched the new RPC Part II vulnerability ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... To learn more about the TICSA certification, ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Quick word of thanks
      ... dial-in and vpn access to their network for the better part of a week until ... I followed your advice yesterday by updating my machines to MS03-039. ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • WHERE ARE NT4 OLD PASSWORDS STORED
      ... Sorry if this bores many of you (being an NT4 question), ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Firewalls and DCOM
      ... Never underestimate the lengths to which your users will inadvertently go through to infect a network;)" ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • DCOM worm analysis report: W32.Blaster.Worm
      ... A Bugtraq user has already pointed out that a worm has been ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)