Some laughs about the worm...

From: Russ (Russ.Cooper_at_RC.ON.CA)
Date: 08/13/03

    Date:         Tue, 12 Aug 2003 18:42:03 -0400
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    I'm going to pack it in for a few hours now, possibly until tomorrow unless lightening strikes nearby, but I thought I'd leave you with a few humorous anecdotes. People wonder why people get bitten by attacks like these, consider;

    1. AV Vendors can't agree on what to call this worm, or, for that matter, what not to call it.

    2. Patch Management solutions can't seem to agree as to whether or not the patch is or isn't applied, or even if it is or isn't needed.

    3. Microsoft wrote the patch specifically for W2K SP2 and SP3, but because SP4 shipped prior to the patch being released, said it was supported only on the current and N-1 SP (SP3 and SP4). Its taken them 27 days to officially say it will work on a platform they designed it for.

    4. People DoS'd (more or less) WindowsUpdate trying to get the patch today. So much for warning them in advance, what we need is fatter pipes to handle the traffic when things happen.

    5. Older is more secure, since no mention has come my way of a Win9x system being infected. Isn't that supposed to be working the other way around?

    Anyway, just chuckle, don't argue, the points above...;-]

    Cheers,
    Russ - NTBugtraq Editor

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Are You "Certifiable"? Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER!

    With a growth rate exceeding 110%, the TICSA security practitioner
    certification is one of the hottest IT credentials available. And now, for
    a limited time, you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! To
    learn more about the TICSA certification, and to register as a TICSA
    candidate online, just go to

    http://www.trusecure.com/offer/s0100/

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo