Strange DNS Behaviour after W2K SP4

Adrian_at_MONCRIEFF.COM.AU
Date: 08/01/03

    Date:         Fri, 1 Aug 2003 23:32:11 +0800
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Have just been trying to diagnose a problem with an AD Domain gradually
    loosing all of it's DNS records (in particular Domain Controllers). It
    appears that DNS was not accepting active DNS re-registrations for W2K
    systems. Eventually DCs can no-longer find each other and replication
    starts to fail.

    It appears that SP4 must change the way in which W2K systems register with
    DNS, which causes registration to fail if the site has a "Single-Label" DNS
    Name (i.e. an AD Domain name without a period '.'). The site I was looking
    at had such a domain name.

    Finally located KB 300684 (Need the updated version off the MS Site which
    includes notes on SP4) which describes what is happening, and fixes.

    Thought I would pass on this info, as the results of this is quite bizarre,
    slowly taking the whole domain down, and because it becomes noticeable some
    time (> 1 week in this case) after applying the service pack, the
    association between the problem and applying SP4 may be hard to make.

    Regards,

    Adrian van den Avoort
    Perth,
    Western Australia

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Are You "Certifiable"? Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER!

    With a growth rate exceeding 110%, the TICSA security practitioner
    certification is one of the hottest IT credentials available. And now, for
    a limited time, you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! To
    learn more about the TICSA certification, and to register as a TICSA
    candidate online, just go to

    http://www.trusecure.com/offer/s0100/

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

    • Re: Norton Internet Security 2003 blacklist fault?
      ... DNS resolutions are handled ... We are investigating ways to periodically update DNS resolutions to ... First time poster on this list - so be gentle! ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Strange DNS Behaviour after W2K SP4
      ... Could this be because your namespace isn't setup per Microsoft ... DNS & AD, namespaces are always setup using dotted domain names like ... When you register DNS ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • DNS name on certification can cause SSL failure?
      ... Trading partner had a SSL failure. ... I gave them new certification. ... system IP is 203.254.192.1xx and it doesn't have DNS name. ... An error occurred in BizTalk Server. ...
      (microsoft.public.biztalk.server)
    • Re: [Full-disclosure] DNS Cache Dan Kamikaze (Actual Exploit Discussion)
      ... It's the trust=20 anchors. ... trust ... reason people are scared to do the same thing with dns ... the entity doing the certification. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: asp.net isnt resolving an IP address correctly
      ... may be a DNS issue or a Firewall issue. ... Show me your certification without works, ... When I literally copy the IP address and overwrite the alias name in my ...