Re: MS03-026 - are you patched? Windows Update isn't sure!

From: Floyd Russell (floyd_at_NEOSPIRE.NET)
Date: 07/31/03

Date:         Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:23:37 -0500
To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

The following is another reason to not trust Windows Update.
Because under certain circumstances it doesn't report errors
associated with installing hotfixes. Case in point: MS03-026.

Here is the scenario:
Windows 2000 Server SP4
Downloaded MS03-026 hotfix for installation. Attempted to
run the hotfix. The following error is generated:
"Insufficient system resources to start the requested service."
I then attempted to use Windows Update. Selected the patch,
it installed and said success. I scanned the server after
the reboot and the patch HAD NOT been installed.

I contact PSS and found out, through a very long call,
that the registry size limit had been met - which prevented
the hotfix from installing. After increasing the limit the
hotfix installed properly.

So this is a specific case of Windows Update mis-stating
that the hotfix had indeed installed.

On a similar strand: Does anyone else find it irratating
that MS03-031 ( the latest SQL hotfix ) will state it
completed ok, only to find out in the log that only
the client tools/connectivity were updated because the
SQL Server wasn't at the correct SP level? I sure do. :)

Floyd R.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Are You "Certifiable"? Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER!

With a growth rate exceeding 110%, the TICSA security practitioner
certification is one of the hottest IT credentials available. And now, for
a limited time, you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! To
learn more about the TICSA certification, and to register as a TICSA
candidate online, just go to

http://www.trusecure.com/offer/s0100/

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Relevant Pages

  • Need Help Securing XP
    ... After installing I immediately went to Windows Update to try and grab the ... The fun started when I discovered that windows update wouldn’t work, ... message that says “this Hotfix will only work with Build 2600” or something ... similar and several patches and hotfixes I tried after that was the same ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Help with XP Hotfixes and Patches
    ... After installing I immediately went to Windows Update to try and grab the ... The fun started when I discovered that windows update wouldn’t work, ... message that says “this Hotfix will only work with Build 2600” or something ... similar and several patches and hotfixes I tried after that was the same ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Need Help Securing XP
    ... then you will have the capability to download the latest patches from MS ... > After installing I immediately went to Windows Update to try and grab the ... > The fun started when I discovered that windows update wouldn't work, ... > message that says "this Hotfix will only work with Build 2600" or ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Same automatic update on a daily basis
    ... Windows Update Site Lists Updates That You Already Installed ... Prevent Windows Update from prompting you to install a Hotfix you know is ... notifications for over two weeks and when I go into details before installing, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Potential MAJOR bug in KB969604?
    ... Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org ... possible hotfix ID is KB970942 and I think it will be published soon. ... issue after installing the update KB969604 on my test machine. ... document variables in the document become corrupt. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)