Re: Windows Media Services Remote Command Execution #2

From: Brett Moore (brett.moore_at_SECURITY-ASSESSMENT.COM)
Date: 07/07/03

    Date:         Mon, 7 Jul 2003 12:17:47 -0700
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Jim

    Unfortunately I am unable to test that particular setup but based on the MS
    advisory it would appear that the nsiislog.dll file is available only
    through
    the IIS /scripts folder.

    "This logging capability is implemented as an Internet Services Application
    Programming Interface (ISAPI) extension - nsiislog.dll. When Windows Media
    Services are added through add/remove programs to Windows 2000, nsiislog.dll
    is installed in the Internet Information Services (IIS) Scripts directory on
    the server. Once Windows Media Services is installed, nsiislog.dll is
    automatically loaded and used by IIS."

    Therefore if the /scripts folder is not available to the Internet then the
    vulnerable dll file can not be reached and can not be exploited remotely.

    Regards
    Brett Moore
    www.security-assessment.com