Win2003 Bug: Terminal server always in Install mode

From: David Frans (david.frans_at_NETCONFIG.BE)
Date: 07/03/03

    Date:         Thu, 3 Jul 2003 18:00:57 +0200
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    For months now we are experiencing problems when logging on via RDP on a terminal server in application mode, it was always in install mode. Now we finally found way: because of the keyboard settings!!!

    Here is the repro:

    *
            Install/use existing Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server without Dutch locale installed
    *
            Install a Windows XP client, add the Dutch local information and set this to the user's default
    *
            Connect to the TS using our RDP client (with administrative rights)
    *
            Once logged onto the session open a command prompt and run this command: change user /query
    *
            This should state that the server is in INSTALL mode
    *
            Open Task Manager and kill CTFMON.EXE
    *
            Run this command again: change user /query
    *
            This should state that the server is in EXECUTE mode

    So installing a Windows 2003 application terminal server without the client's locales installed causes administrators to be in install mode all the time, until CTFMON.EXE is killed.

    Microsoft has confirmed this bug and is promising a hotfix.

    David Frans
    Netconfig bvba

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Are You "Certifiable"? Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER!

    With a growth rate exceeding 110%, the TICSA security practitioner
    certification is one of the hottest IT credentials available. And now, for
    a limited time, you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! To
    learn more about the TICSA certification, and to register as a TICSA
    candidate online, just go to

    http://www.trusecure.com/offer/s0100/

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo