SP4 - memory parity errors reported? (F0 0F bug style)

From: Kurt Seifried (listuser_at_SEIFRIED.ORG)
Date: 06/30/03

    Date:         Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:25:02 -0700
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    While this isn't directly a security issue it seems to indicate to me the
    possibility of executing something malicious.

    I have a Tyan 2460 motherboard, dual AMD MP2000+, 2gigs of ECC ram
    (kingston). Running Win2k fine, SP3, etc. So I install SP4, no sweat,
    reboot, gets to the "starting windows screen" with the rolling blue lines,
    gets to the end of that, blam, blue screen saying memory partiy error.
    Reboot, Blam. Reboot. Blam. So I take another HD, do a fresh Win2k install,
    install sp4, it works.... for a few days. Then I start getting memory parity
    errors. Fight with it a bit (try removing ram, etc.), generally unstable. So
    I do a fresh install of win2k on another hd, no service packs/etc, runs fine
    (this is how I'm sending this email).

    What I wonder is: what on earth in service pack 4 is causing memory parity
    errors, and can it be reproduced by other code (i.e. a nasty virus, or
    perhaps some illegal execution ala the Pentium F0 0F bug). Has anyone else
    seen such errors on a Tyan 2460 board or other dual cpu/ecc memory boards?

    -Kurt Seifried

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Are You "Certifiable"? Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER!

    With a growth rate exceeding 110%, the TICSA security practitioner
    certification is one of the hottest IT credentials available. And now, for
    a limited time, you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! To
    learn more about the TICSA certification, and to register as a TICSA
    candidate online, just go to

    http://www.trusecure.com/offer/s0100/

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

    • XP systems continue to reboot, even with all patches installed an d native firewalling enabled
      ... A small handful of systems in our company continue to reboot in response to ... With a growth rate exceeding 110%, the TICSA security practitioner certification is one of the hottest IT credentials available. ... And now, for a limited time, you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: W2K SP4 bug on DCs
      ... resolves the memory leak and it supercedes the KB824226. ... logged on all of them decided to reboot themselves. ... With a growth rate exceeding 110%, the TICSA security practitioner certification is one of the hottest IT credentials available. ... And now, for a limited time, you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Alert: Microsoft Security Bulletin - MS03-039
      ... The way that Microsoft patched the new RPC Part II vulnerability ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... To learn more about the TICSA certification, ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Windows 2000 server issue
      ... accurately parse the lists of vulnerable machines produced by the scan ... of addresses directly on the script. ... Summer's Hottest Certification Just Got HOTTER! ... you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Drivial Pursuit: Internet Explorer Browser & Your Files and Folders !
      ... The default Enhanced Security Configuration of IE ... access to files and folders on the local machine from the internet. ... With a growth rate exceeding 110%, the TICSA security practitioner certification is one of the hottest IT credentials available. ... And now, for a limited time, you can save 33% off of the TICSA certification exam! ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)