AW: Long Filename in NT Makes File Unusable

From: Star IT - M. Sproede (m.sproede_at_STAR-IT.DE)
Date: 06/12/03

    Date:         Thu, 12 Jun 2003 21:25:20 +0200
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    > I thought Windows could handle filenames up to 256 characters.
    The whole path including the file name in Windows NT/2000/XP must not exceed
    256 characters. This is defined in the MAX_PATH variable
    (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=320081). If it is not possible to delete
    a file because of the path length then you have to rename one of the upper
    folders temporarily to a single character name as workaround. This will
    decrease the path length and makes the file accessible. Or you share the
    folder that contains the file with a single character share name and access
    the file using this share.

    > I am curious how the system created the 226 characters file.
    If the file name has 226 characters and the leading path will be 30
    characters: Rename one of the upper folders and use a new folder name that
    is longer than before. Then the total path length will exceed the limit.
    Another chance to create those files: It's possible to save a file on
    "\\server\share\%filename_240_characters%". But you can't access this file
    using the local path "C:\%path_50_characters%\%filename_240_characters%"
    because this will be longer than 256.

    Regards,
    Michael Sproede

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Delivery co-sponsored by TruSecure
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Free 14-day trial of New Threat & Vulnerability Notification Service

    TruSecure's new IntelliShield(tm) web-based threat and vulnerability
    service isn't your typical alert service. Supported by TruSecure's vast
    intelligence resources - including the ICSA Labs - IntelliShield's early
    warning, analysis, decision support, and threat management tools provide
    organizations with unmatched intelligence to better protect critical
    information assets. Experience it for yourself - just click below to begin
    your free, no obligation 14-day trial today!

    http://www.trusecure.com/offer/s0074/

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

    • Re: File Attributes a real stumper
      ... Windows is based on that ANSI character set, or it may contain reserved windows names, such as 'com', 'lpt', or others. ... I've seen these type of files created using FTP, which supports ASCII, and an FTP server supports ASCII, and Windows will create it from FTP, but when you try to view it, or delete it, you'll have problems. ... A little background on undeletable files and folders: ... They would upload their illegal software to the FTP servers they find, but they would name the files and the folder they create with extended characters and symbols that FTP supports but Windows does not directly support, as well as create a very deep file structure with these extended unsupported ASCII characters, and/or file names with these characters that are greater than 256 characters. ...
    • Re: XP Cant see some filenames on 98 box, works in reverse.
      ... > the XP box any of those characters is replaced by an underscore. ... >> Simple File Sharing does not allow the sharing of the Windows, ... You can share individual folders within those folders. ... >> If data is being read incorrectly, I suggest changing the network cables ...
    • How To Delete File? It is easy: http://HowToDeleteFile.com Do you have error messages?, like : Can
      ... Windows Explorer/FAR would fail to copy/delete/rename any pathname ... longer than 256 characters. ... No special system requirements. ... Can delete files even from mapped network folders ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
    • How To Delete File? It is easy: http://HowToDeleteFile.com
      ... Windows Explorer/FAR would fail to copy/delete/rename any pathname ... longer than 256 characters. ... No special system requirements. ... Can delete files even from mapped network folders ...
      (microsoft.public.frontpage.client)
    • How To Delete File? It is easy: http://HowToDeleteFile.com Do you have error messages?, like : Can
      ... Windows Explorer/FAR would fail to copy/delete/rename any pathname ... longer than 256 characters. ... No special system requirements. ... Can delete files even from mapped network folders ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)