Windows XP activation

From: Henk van de Kamer (hvdkamer_at_AKTU.NL)
Date: 05/14/03

    Date:         Wed, 14 May 2003 16:35:30 +0200
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Hello,

    In the process of installing and configuring Windows XP I stumbled upon something which gives me an unpleasant feeling. Please drop the message if it isn't apropiate for this list.

    Our normal routine is installation, configuration and then activation. The activation "program" is nothing more than an Internet Explorer instance. The default settings of this program are to relaxed in our opinion. One of them is (and I try to translate this from the Dutch version, so it could be somewhat different in the US version) "Check if the server has withdrawn a certificate (restart required)". The default is no check. With this option checked, the activation process gives error 32777. The rest of the message is meaningless, something about checking your cables :-) Temporaraly unchecking this option and no other changes results in a succesfull registration.

    In my opinion this means that we have no way of checking if the communication is indeed with a still valid Microsoft registration server.

    Regards,

    Henk van de Kamer
    Aktu Publishing Group

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    EXECUTIVE SEMINAR: "Information Security and the Disappearing Perimeter"

    Join Peter S. Tippett, PhD, M.D., the industry's foremost authority on
    network security, and TruSecure for a free breakfast seminar on "The Impact
    of the Disappearing Perimeter." Learn how you can proactively protect your
    organization against today's newest threats, including those from remote
    users, business partners and wireless. To register, and to view the full
    list of dates and cities, click below or call 1-888-396-8348.

    http://www.trusecure.com/offer/s0096/

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

    • Re: Flooding Internet Explorer 6.0.2800 (6.x?) security zones ! - UPDATED
      ... Russ - NTBugtraq Editor ... "Information Security and the Disappearing Perimeter" ... and TruSecure for a free breakfast seminar on "The Impact ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Windows Update site
      ... about 30 updates from the Microsoft web site. ... "Information Security and the Disappearing Perimeter" ... and TruSecure for a free breakfast seminar on "The Impact ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Windows Update site
      ... Just to add one more variable, many people contacted me this morning indicating that if IE hasn't got a language set then Windows Update will have the same response, namely it will say there are no updates. ... "Information Security and the Disappearing Perimeter" ... and TruSecure for a free breakfast seminar on "The Impact ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Restricted Zone: the OUTLOOK EXPRESS
      ... this is reminiscent of GreyMagic Software's 'Qualcomm Eudora ... "Information Security and the Disappearing Perimeter" ... and TruSecure for a free breakfast seminar on "The Impact ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)