Re: Windows Update site

From: Russ (Russ.Cooper_at_RC.ON.CA)
Date: 05/13/03

    Date:         Tue, 13 May 2003 13:43:06 -0400
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Just to add one more variable, many people contacted me this morning indicating that if IE hasn't got a language set then Windows Update will have the same response, namely it will say there are no updates.

    Firstly, I want to express my utter disgust at Microsoft once again using the premise that if there's a problem in the process, the site says you need no updates (as opposed to saying there's a problem.) We had exactly this problem with Microsoft's implementation of S/MIME some years ago, if there was a problem with the certificate verification process it resulted in the message being opened rather than a problem being identified. Instead of WU saying you need no updates, it should clearly state that it couldn't complete it's tasks, otherwise how is anyone supposed to know there's a problem to be dealt with? They don't even tell you that you should view the Windows Update.log file to see if there were problems.

    As for ensuring a language has been set, some people suggest IE can find itself without a language setting for some unknown reason, so you may want to check. I checked on mine that failed and they all had a language set, so that wasn't the reason in my case (at least.)

    Here's how to check;

    I have tried this and it has worked for me when I have that same problem. Open internet explorer go to tools ---> Internet Options----> under Temporary internet files click on "settings" make sure that "every visit to the page" under check for newer versions of stored pages, is selected and then hit ok to exit out.
    William Nunez

    Cheers,
    Russ - NTBugtraq Editor

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    EXECUTIVE SEMINAR: "Information Security and the Disappearing Perimeter"

    Join Peter S. Tippett, PhD, M.D., the industry's foremost authority on
    network security, and TruSecure for a free breakfast seminar on "The Impact
    of the Disappearing Perimeter." Learn how you can proactively protect your
    organization against today's newest threats, including those from remote
    users, business partners and wireless. To register, and to view the full
    list of dates and cities, click below or call 1-888-396-8348.

    http://www.trusecure.com/offer/s0096/

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

    • Windows XP activation
      ... In my opinion this means that we have no way of checking if the communication is indeed with a still valid Microsoft registration server. ... "Information Security and the Disappearing Perimeter" ... and TruSecure for a free breakfast seminar on "The Impact ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Flooding Internet Explorer 6.0.2800 (6.x?) security zones ! - UPDATED
      ... Russ - NTBugtraq Editor ... "Information Security and the Disappearing Perimeter" ... and TruSecure for a free breakfast seminar on "The Impact ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Windows Update site
      ... about 30 updates from the Microsoft web site. ... "Information Security and the Disappearing Perimeter" ... and TruSecure for a free breakfast seminar on "The Impact ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Re: Restricted Zone: the OUTLOOK EXPRESS
      ... this is reminiscent of GreyMagic Software's 'Qualcomm Eudora ... "Information Security and the Disappearing Perimeter" ... and TruSecure for a free breakfast seminar on "The Impact ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • Windows Update is a dog, again!
      ... Has Microsoft done anything to change that perception? ... Ensure I'm checking from the system I want patches for, meaning all of the systems in my environment must be the same OS or I, as Administrator, have multiple systems to check for updates. ... Wonder if the backend systems for Windows Update are down, under maintenance, or just configured incorrectly if it says I need no patches, it may not have checked properly. ... "Information Security and the Disappearing Perimeter" ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)