FW: Windows Update site

From: Josiah DeWitt (jdewitt_at_VENDARIA.COM)
Date: 05/13/03

    Date:         Tue, 13 May 2003 08:55:06 -0700
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    > Another interesting note on the time issue, is that Windows Time
    > Service generally will not set the clock if off by more than 12 hours.
    > This could explain why WinXp can have the problem with time. Check
    > the system log for W32time error events. If found, manually set the
    > clock, restart the time service and run Windows Update.

    The 12 hour "no-set" zone is actually about 16:40 hours deviation from actual time. This is a general implementation guideline for the network time protocol daemon as specified in RFC1305. Your clock must be within 1000 seconds from the ntp server response or the daemon should exit reporting error.

    Excerpt from RFC1305:

    The basic NTP robustness model is that a host has no other means to
    verify time other than NTP itself. In some equipment a battery-backed
    clock/calendar is available for a sanity check. If such a device is
    available, it should be used only to confirm sanity of the timekeeping
    system, not as the source of system time. In the common assumption (not
    always justified) that the clock/calendar is more reliable, but less
    accurate, than the NTP synchronization subnet, the recommended approach
    at initialization is to set the Clock register as determined from the
    clock/calendar and the other registers, counters and flags as described
    above. On subsequent updates if the time offset is greater than a
    configuration parameter (e.g., 1000 seconds), then the update should be
    discarded and an error condition reported. Some implementations
    periodically record the contents of the Skew-Compensation register in
    stable storage such as a system file or NVRAM and retrieve this value at
    initialization. This can significantly reduce the time to converge to
    the nominal stability and accuracy regime.

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Delivery co-sponsored by TruSecure
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    FREE 14-DAY TRIAL of New Threat & Vulnerability Notification Service

    TruSecure's new IntelliShield(tm) web-based threat and vulnerability
    service isn't your typical alert service. Supported by TruSecure's vast
    intelligence resources - including the ICSA Labs - IntelliShield's early
    warning, analysis, decision support, and threat management tools provide
    organizations with unmatched intelligence to better protect critical
    information assets. Experience it for yourself - just click below to begin
    your FREE, NO OBLIGATION 14-day trial today!

    http://www.trusecure.com/offer/s0074/

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

    • Re: VAX floating-point instruction timing?
      ... Not all clock ticks are the same. ... There were stretched clock cycles on at least one VAX box; there was a VAX with two different lengths for its clock cycle, depending on what is going on in the i-stream. ... Yeah, I know, they weren't completely compatible with each other but they all implemented the architecture modulo various subsets and the inevitable bug that would creep in. ... I intend to use register renaming in such a way that 1) every register modification goes to a new physical register and 2) there are sufficiently many more physical than architected registers that all the original register values are kept untouched by even the worst case autoupdating instruction. ...
      (comp.sys.dec)
    • Re: synchornize time - w32tm
      ... The Windows Time service was stopped successfully. ... immediately jump from its current time to the correct time. ... on time (because Windows sped up the clock and then the time was reset ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Cross Clock Domain Control
      ... I add a 2nd "metastable rejection" register after the 1st input ... feeding the functional logic in the target clock domain. ... think I will still add in the metastability registers for good design ...
      (comp.lang.vhdl)
    • Re: Freq. Independent Phase Shifter
      ... So the Phase Accumulator itself is a state machine which creates ... Imagine a 32-bit clockable binary register, ... Call the value in the register R. Every clock, add a 32-bit value F to ... That's pretty much what I did for a CCD shutter motor controller for a high ...
      (sci.electronics.design)
    • Re: RS232
      ... I'm new with hardware projects... ... for each pulse of clock. ... the last byte saying "return my register value at this address" is received ... until you hand back off to the abstract message into the UART transmitter. ...
      (comp.lang.verilog)