Re: XP fix problems

From: Boxster (boxster@XCELAR.COM)
Date: 04/23/03

    Date:         Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:52:15 -0700
    From: Boxster <boxster@XCELAR.COM>
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Re: Q817287 -

    In looking at some of my own systems, I notice that this patch (according to
    Q817287.log) failed with a "failed to open file" on FetchSourceURL errors in
    the log. However, Window's Updates History list shows it as successful.

    Successful Wednesday, April 16, 2003 Q817287: Critical Update (Catalog
    Database Corruption in Microsoft Windows) Automatic update

    Now why don't I find it odd that a patch to fix windows update, as
    distributed by windows update fails?

    Also of note is that the Baseline Security Scanner does not find the update
    missing.

    So now I have a patch with based on it's log didn't install, but Win-Update
    and BSA imply that is has.

    The questionable install may be related to Joe's problem.

    Neil Goldstein