Re: Explorer 100% utilization in Windows XP

From: Russ (Russ.Cooper@RC.ON.CA)
Date: 04/18/03

    Date:         Thu, 17 Apr 2003 19:18:30 -0400
    From: Russ <Russ.Cooper@RC.ON.CA>
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    I personally have reproduced the CPU 100% utilization a considerable number of times, on various XP systems. Sometimes it doesn't work, but if you repeat it enough times (3 or 4) it will work. I've done it with both files and directories.

    Robert Turek points out; "All you have to do is hover the mouse over the file for a second and it will highlight the file the same as a single click, then you can right click."

    While I don't get the file highlighted by hovering over it, I do get the popup with file details. That is likely enough to prevent the CPU 100% problem. This feature might explain why some people report not being able to reproduce this.

    This is not a security vulnerability, but is offered up only as another interesting anomaly.

    Cheers,
    Russ - NTBugtraq Editor

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Have you discovered a security vulnerability related to Windows or a
    commercial product which runs on Windows?

    Need assistance crafting the format or translating your advisory to English?

    Need to verify it, or having problems contacting the Vendor?

    Contact mailto:Advisories@NTBugtraq.com

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo