Re: Explorer 100% utilization in Windows XP

From: Russ (Russ.Cooper@RC.ON.CA)
Date: 04/18/03

    Date:         Thu, 17 Apr 2003 19:18:30 -0400
    From: Russ <Russ.Cooper@RC.ON.CA>
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    I personally have reproduced the CPU 100% utilization a considerable number of times, on various XP systems. Sometimes it doesn't work, but if you repeat it enough times (3 or 4) it will work. I've done it with both files and directories.

    Robert Turek points out; "All you have to do is hover the mouse over the file for a second and it will highlight the file the same as a single click, then you can right click."

    While I don't get the file highlighted by hovering over it, I do get the popup with file details. That is likely enough to prevent the CPU 100% problem. This feature might explain why some people report not being able to reproduce this.

    This is not a security vulnerability, but is offered up only as another interesting anomaly.

    Cheers,
    Russ - NTBugtraq Editor

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Have you discovered a security vulnerability related to Windows or a
    commercial product which runs on Windows?

    Need assistance crafting the format or translating your advisory to English?

    Need to verify it, or having problems contacting the Vendor?

    Contact mailto:Advisories@NTBugtraq.com

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

    • Re: Would this be a good buy?
      ... and better graphics, but finding the time is a struggle. ... The real enthusiasts here know the difference between CPU ... boxes tend to have CPU and GPU of similar levels of pricing (if you want ... Windows 7 Home Premium (I'd advise getting Pro if you ever go ...
      (uk.comp.homebuilt)
    • In the midst of chaos, an adventure can be found Topic Summary: A beginners journey into the realm o
      ... I've built it up and am installing windows. ... AMD CPU Driver & Optimizer. ... Quick restart then the mobo drivers, another restart and on go the ... I install ASUS PC Probe and the AI Booster utilities. ...
      (comp.programming)
    • Re: 2003 Server slowed to a crawl
      ... click Processes then CPU column to sort by ... Investigate a possible Network problem (is there a broadcast storm ... >> method for telling the computer's processor that it needs attention. ... >> which have signed drivers (such hardware is sold with a Microsoft Windows ...
    • Re: 2003 Server slowed to a crawl
      ... Check system uptime (pagefile.sys modified date or in Task Manager: CPU ... Remove unnecessary network protocols (NWLink IPX/SPX is often at fault ... which have signed drivers (such hardware is sold with a Microsoft Windows ...
    • Re: Starting Windows 2000 hangs on new install.
      ... Windows Me is happy with either. ... CPU temperature ... If OK reboot from win2k installation disk (you may have to ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.setup)