Re: Symantec AV signature corruption

From: Russ (Russ.Cooper@RC.ON.CA)
Date: 02/14/03

    Date:         Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:24:46 -0500
    From: Russ <Russ.Cooper@RC.ON.CA>
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Can you post this in reply to a message that was sent out earlier this
    morning on NTBugtraq, titled 'Symantec AV Signature Corruption'.

    Ben,

    Thanks for posting the message. We reviewed the case and here is what
    we have found.

    On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, Symantec posted updated antivirus
    definitions via multiple channels. Shortly after posting these
    definitions, we recognized that due to a replication issue, some
    customers who had used a specific Intelligent Updater (IU) were not
    receiving the new, updated definitions. This potentially impacted
    customers who updated their definitions from the web site using a
    specific version of the IU file (20030211-004-i32.exe) for deployment
    on Win32 desktop systems. You should have seen an error message on
    opening the downloaded definition file. The vast majority of our
    customers, who download new definition files do so via LiveUpdate or the
    Symantec FTP server and so were not affected. Previous virus
    definitions were left in tact and should have continued to protect your
    systems, the only exception to this might have been on some versions of
    the product if you tried to manually restart t! he service in the
    meantime, as that would have required another restart to pick up the new
    definitions.

    From Symantec

    cheers,
    Russ - NTBtugtraq Editor

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Delivery co-sponsored by TruSecure Corporation
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    TICSA - Anniversary Special - Limited Time

    Become TICSA certified for just $221.25 US when you register before 3/31/03
    with PROMO "TS0103" at www.2test.com. NO membership fees, certification
    good for 2 years. Price for international delivery just $296.25 US, with
    this offer. Offer cannot be combined with any other special and expires
    3/31/03. Visit www.trusecure.com/ticsa for full details.

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: tape drive in 2008 server
      ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, ... use the symantec provided drivers for BE. ... at least see the tape drives there. ... I'm using the drivers provided by Symantec and, ...
    • RE: network path not found admin$
      ... For the Symantec antivirus software issue, ... Microsoft Online Partner Support ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Norton Internet security 2003 and Speedy2000 ?
      ... that before posting this question. ... > NIS only contacts Symantec and Verisign servers as far as I know. ... > Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. ... > Software Quality Assurance Analyst ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Missing file
      ... You'll need to contact Symantec for more information (this is specific to ... Please reply in newsgroup. ... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, ...
    • Re: quick launch
      ... The registry tweak that I was posting is the remedy for your problem, ... groups and that's my standard question if a standard advice fails: ... an advice might not work if there are any Symantec products installed. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)