Symantec AV signature corruption

From: Ben Reardon (ben.reardon@TELSTRA.COM)
Date: 02/13/03

    Date:         Thu, 13 Feb 2003 13:22:03 +1000
    From: Ben Reardon <ben.reardon@TELSTRA.COM>
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Just a quick heads up to anyone using Symantec AV.

    The Norton anti-virus definitions file for 11th Feb 2003 (.004 I am
    told) was somehow corrupted. In our fairly large environment, all
    workstations that received that update no longer had working AV.

    Our test labs with newer versions of NAV have experienced similar
    issues.

    We are finding that manual steps are required to get NAV working again
    with working signatures are rather cumbersome.

    Symantec seems to be keeping the info very close to their chest. They
    do acknowledge the problem happened yesterday if you call with an issue
    regarding it. However I couldn't find any mention anywhere else.

    ben

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Delivery co-sponsored by TruSecure Corporation
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    TICSA - Anniversary Special - Limited Time

    Become TICSA certified for just $221.25 US when you register before 3/31/03
    with PROMO "TS0103" at www.2test.com. NO membership fees, certification
    good for 2 years. Price for international delivery just $296.25 US, with
    this offer. Offer cannot be combined with any other special and expires
    3/31/03. Visit www.trusecure.com/ticsa for full details.

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: Symantec AntVirus Corporate Edition 10.1 Slow Printing
      ... If you have 10.1.5.5000 then go to the Symantec site ... That is due to the virus scanner is scanning the ... profile on shutdown which could lock the profile so when you boot up again you ... I have 5 workstations running Windows XP/2000 and use ACCPAC (DOS ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Small Business Server R2 and Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0
      ... favorite when realized it is using the good old Apache server. ... When it comes to protection, based on reviews, Symantec is always in the ... AV and Proactive parts on 5 workstations, unmanaged mode, not the ... Live Update part (even though I didn't install it) and would just hang ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Symantec AntVirus Corporate Edition 10.1 Slow Printing
      ... At least you will have Symantec answering you ... I have 5 workstations running Windows XP/2000 and use ACCPAC (DOS ... printer is the shared and the other workstations print to this ... The specifications of the machines range from 1 GHz - 3 GHz and RAM ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Anti Virus
      ... I was talking about Symantec Corporate v10.1 Edition which you are ... Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange v4.6. ... Symantec 10.1 Corporate for Workstations and Servers does NOT include ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Symantec Anti-Virus on Tiger and Leopard?
      ... and if you were deploying them into a Windows based environment that uses ... Symantec AV Corporate edition, would you be happy using the Mac version? ...
      (uk.comp.sys.mac)