Windows Update (again) unavailable for non Internet Explorer users

From: Daniel Dočekal (daniel@POOH.CZ)
Date: 02/09/03

    Date:         Sun, 9 Feb 2003 20:32:28 +0100
    From: Daniel Dočekal <daniel@POOH.CZ>
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    Windows Update, the ONLY source for security updates, fixes and other
    important files is AGAIN available only for Internet Explorer users -
    netscape, opera and any others are locked out and urged to either
    upgrade to Internet Explorer or use Microsoft download.

    Microsoft Download is unfortunately useless, some six month ago flow of
    security updates, fixes and other important files to Microsoft Download
    stopped.

    This is hard to believe policy made by Microsoft management - why should
    someone be forced to use Internet Explorer when in need of, let say,
    operating system security update?

    This is even bigger faux pas than recent media buzz about Opera being
    serverd with invalid style sheet.

    Cheers
    Daniel

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Delivery co-sponsored by TruSecure Corporation
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    TICSA - Anniversary Special - Limited Time

    Become TICSA certified for just $221.25 US when you register before 3/31/03
    with PROMO "TS0103" at www.2test.com. NO membership fees, certification
    good for 2 years. Price for international delivery just $296.25 US, with
    this offer. Offer cannot be combined with any other special and expires
    3/31/03. Visit www.trusecure.com/ticsa for full details.

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: Windows Update (again) unavailable for non Internet Explorer users
      ... > upgrade to Internet Explorer or use Microsoft download. ... Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the ... > security updates, fixes and other important files to Microsoft Download ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • CANNOT ACCESS FILE LINKED FROM EMAIL
      ... I canNOT access files from an email link. ... I'm running Window-XP with all of the security updates and ... Microsoft Internet Explorer. ...
    • deletable updates, hotfixes & service packs
      ... I use Windows XP Pro, Office & Internet Explorer. ... remove programs" there are many security updates, updates, hotifixes & ... storage space they take, they take 50% of my storage. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Re: wga for non-networked pc
      ... validate, not the one that installs it. ... running winxp. ... When downloading security updates from Microsoft Download Center, ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Patch Distribution with Logon Scripts
      ... using login scripts to deploy Microsoft Patches (i.e. ... security updates to Internet Explorer). ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)