MS Remote Installation Service SP3 incompatibility

From: DeMersseman, Jonathan (jddeme00@EMAIL.UKY.EDU)
Date: 12/20/02

    Date:         Fri, 20 Dec 2002 10:38:18 -0500
    From: "DeMersseman, Jonathan" <jddeme00@EMAIL.UKY.EDU>
    To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    For most of the month we have been struggling to figure out why our
    Win2K Remote Installation Servers suddenly stopped working. A power
    failure and several other variables masked the cause of the problem.
    Yesterday, I stumbled across a posting in
    microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment from 2002-08-19 by Jeroen de
    Jong. If you upgrade your RIS servers to SP3 and leave the DC's that
    the RIS server authenticates with at SP2 you will not be able to deploy
    pre-staged PC's. You will only be able to RIS, if "Do not respond to
    unknown client computers" is unchecked on the Remote Install tab of the
    RIS server's computer object in the AD. To solve the problem update
    your DC's to SP3. While this may be "old news," Microsoft has not
    documented this bug in any way that I have located.

    As a footnote, if your production environment precludes you from
    updating all DC's quickly, it appears that you can open the Active
    Directory Users and Computers MMC on the RIS server and tell it to
    connect to a DC that is on SP3. This appears to have the effect of
    forcing the RIS process to communicate with that specific DC.

    Jonathan DeMersseman
    University of Kentucky
    College of Arts & Sciences

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Delivery co-sponsored by Prometric - More than testing, learning.
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    http://www.prometric.com

    Prometric, part of The Thomson Corporation, is the leader in
    technology-enabled testing and assessment services for information
    technology certification, academic admissions, professional licensure and
    certifications, computer-based driver's licensing, and corporate testing.
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: Help me with shared XP Prof.
      ... >Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ... > Master browser name is: ... > 2 backup servers retrieved from master COMP_3 ... Let's see what we know from these 3 computers. ...
    • Re: [SLE] Developing a Real Time Data System
      ... The typical business computer complex has a set of computers called ... servers, so it's all in one place and can be maintained and backed up ... > me to get data from a Data Acquisition Card. ... Labview, or using the National Instruments card under other programs? ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Counter Strike blocker?
      ... this also mean that most of the kids are local ... > administrators of there own computers. ... > My first thought was to create an application that scans for CS servers. ... >> counterstrike files on all the hard drives of the school machines through ...
      (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)
    • Re: Cant see computer in Network Places
      ... I checked each computer of the eight that are servers they are ... Master browser name is: KEVINSVAIO ... There are 8 servers in domain HOME on transport ... which 7 computers are visible? ...
    • Re: Making the case for not installing DCs on remote sites (2xT1 links)
      ... 25,000 users;-) and I don't know how may servers -4,000 perhaps. ... I think that the logon ... >>>>to logon from branch offices where I have no DC+GC there. ... >>>>offices with more than 60 computers. ...