Re: SUS and Active Directory Servers

From: Tim Wetzel (wetzelt@DICKINSON.EDU)
Date: 06/24/02

Date:         Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:12:51 -0400
From: Tim Wetzel <wetzelt@DICKINSON.EDU>
To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

> > Shame microsoft, Shame.
> >
> > Why doesn't SUS run on a server running ActiveDirectory ?
> > of course MS doesn't say this on their site that I can see,
> > so I downloaded the 50MB installer.
> > the listed requirement is "It runs on Windows 2000 Server
> > with Service Pack 2 or later. Internet Information Services
(IIS)must be
> enabled on the server". so I thought I'd give it a go (so as to
maintain a
> > small network of 10 winxp pro clients from one win2000sp2 server
pdc). but it
> > instead says "Unable to install Microsoft Software Update Services.
You
> > can not install Microsoft Software Update Services on an ACtive
Direcory
> > Domain Controller."
> >
> > I guess they are just trying to encourage me to run SMS
> > (assuming that runs
> > on an active directory server)
> >
> > Louis Solomon
> > www.SteelBytes.com

  Please read the Q article

        http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q322365

"NOTE : You cannot install Microsoft SUS on a Windows 2000 Server
running Active Directory Services or to a Microsoft Small Business
Server (SBS)."

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SUS Problem
    ... Seems it cannot find the parent server, ... Also please remember that the SUS server at Microsoft doesn't work anymore ... Microsoft Student Ambassador, University of Queensland ... > "The Software Update Services Synchronization Service service failed to ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • SecurityFocus Microsoft Newsletter #49
    ... Subject: SecurityFocus Microsoft Newsletter #49 ... Microsoft Windows NNTP Denial of Service Vulnerability ... Microsoft IIS SSI Buffer Overrun Privelege Elevation Vulnerability ... Microsoft ISA Server H.323 Memory Leak Denial of Service... ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: AD management snap in cannot find DC (netdiag /v workstation)
    ... The name.local entries are used by my apache server to implement ... Attr: subschemaSubentry ... Owner of the binding path: ... Component Name: Client for Microsoft Networks ...
  • Re: IIS Start up errors
    ... provide the detailed steps to reinstall the IIS server in SBS 2003 server. ... For example, programs such as Microsoft ... In the Currently installed programs list, click Windows Small Business ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cant see performance report, etc. SBS2003
    ... Windows Performance monitor component changes the ... However, for "OpenSSH Server", you need to ensure it started, or set ... click to check the "Hide All Microsoft ... Reinstall Monitoring component: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)