Self-Executing HTML: Internet Explorer 5.5 and 6.0

From: http-equiv@excite.com
Date: 06/01/02

Date:         Sat, 1 Jun 2002 14:42:10 -0000
From: "http-equiv@excite.com" <http-equiv@MALWARE.COM>
To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

Saturday, June 01, 200

The following file is an html file comprising both scripting and a
complied help file [*.chm].

We inject scripting into the actual help file which is designed to
point back to the html file and execute it. Provided the html file
name contains the 'word' chm in it, Internet Explorer 5.5 and 6.0
executes it.

Because it is an html file proper, Internet Explorer opens it. The
scripting inside is then parsed and fired. That scripting is pointing
back to the same file with a showHelp call and because that is
precisely what it is, it executes !

Tested on win98 IE5.5 and IE6. Constructed for win98:

[harmless *.exe - requires positioning of Mshta.exe @
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM]

http://www.malware.com/html.zip

Be aware of html files out there.

End Call

--
http://www.malware.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Make a dynamical (J)script (more) static
    ... Modify this html file in that way, that it always will play i.e. ... other files from the inputbox out... ... Server-side scripting ... You get better answers in either a web authoring group or a ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Self-Executing HTML: Internet Explorer 5.5 and 6.0
    ... Every body has to define his atom and start thinking using it, ... > We inject scripting into the actual help file which is designed to ... > point back to the html file and execute it. ... it executes! ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: fso GetCurrentFolder
    ... no leading / on pathname. ... > Create an HTML file with the following HTML: ... > thanks again for the quick response. ... >> torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.jscript)
  • Self-Executing HTML: Internet Explorer 5.5 and 6.0
    ... We inject scripting into the actual help file which is designed to ... point back to the html file and execute it. ... precisely what it is, it executes! ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Self-Executing HTML: Internet Explorer 5.5 and 6.0
    ... We inject scripting into the actual help file which is designed to ... point back to the html file and execute it. ... precisely what it is, it executes! ...
    (Bugtraq)