Macromedia Patch Available for ISAPI buffer overflow in JRun 3.0/ 3.1

From: Stephen Dupre (sdupre@MACROMEDIA.COM)
Date: 05/30/02

Date:         Wed, 29 May 2002 19:15:49 -0400
From: Stephen Dupre <sdupre@MACROMEDIA.COM>
To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

Macromedia has worked with David Litchfield from NGSSoftware regarding his bulletin

 "Macromedia JRUN Buffer overflow vulnerability (#NISR29052002)"

and have given him credit for bringing this to our attention.

We wanted to let users know we have issued a bulletin on http://www.macromedia.com/security <http://www.macromedia.com/security> for patches to JRun 3.0/3.1.

The text of the bulletin is below.

Regards,

Stephen Dupre, Security Response Team

Macromedia, Inc.

---------------------------

MPSB02-02-Patch Available for ISAPI buffer overflow in JRun 3.0/3.1

Summary

Buffer overflow of ISAPI filter could be used in a denial of service attack by creating a very large Host header field in a request.

NOTE: Customers who have applied security patches since November 2001 already have these fixes in JRun 3.0 25232 and JRun 3.1 26414 (the 3.1 cumulative patch). Builds prior to these are vulnerable.

Issue

The issue described in this bulletin exists in JRun 3.0 and JRun 3.1 for Microsoft IIS web servers using the ISAPI connector (Windows).

Affected Software Versions

* JRun 3.1 (all editions)

* JRun 3.0 (all editions)

What Macromedia is Doing

Macromedia has published this bulletin, notifying customers of the issue. Macromedia has also released a patch that should resolve the issue in JRun 3.1 and 3.0.

JRun users can find the patch for installation at the following URLs. Use the patch and JRun version appropriate to your platform. Instructions for installation are included.

Windows: (English)

* JRun 3.1: <http://download.allaire.com/publicdl/en/jrun/31/jrun-31-win-upgrade-us_26414.exe> http://download.allaire.com/publicdl/en/jrun/31/jrun-31-win-upgrade-us_26414.exe

* JRun 3.0: <http://download.allaire.com/publicdl/en/jrun/30/jr30sp2_25232.exe> http://download.allaire.com/publicdl/en/jrun/30/jr30sp2_25232.exe

Windows: (Japanese)

* JRun 3.1: <http://download.allaire.com/publicdl/jp/jrun/31/jrun-31-win-upgrade-ja_30681.exe> http://download.allaire.com/publicdl/jp/jrun/31/jrun-31-win-upgrade-ja_30681.exe

* JRun 3.0: <http://download.allaire.com/publicdl/jp/jrun/30/jr30sp2_29543.exe> http://download.allaire.com/publicdl/jp/jrun/30/jr30sp2_29543.exe

Windows: (French)

* JRun 3.1: <http://download.allaire.com/publicdl/fr/jrun/31/jrun-31-win-upgrade-fr_30681.exe> http://download.allaire.com/publicdl/fr/jrun/31/jrun-31-win-upgrade-fr_30681.exe

* JRun 3.0: <http://download.allaire.com/publicdl/fr/jrun/30/jr30sp2_29543.exe> http://download.allaire.com/publicdl/fr/jrun/30/jr30sp2_29543.exe

It is recommended that you back up your existing data before applying any patch.

What Customers Should Do

We strongly encourage customers to download and install this patch immediately.

Please note: As always, customers should test patch changes in a testing environment before modifying production servers.

NOTE: The cumulative patch has several security fixes that require a manual update AFTER installing the cumulative release to replace the web server ISAPI filter used by JRun. Follow these instructions to properly patch your web server JRun filter. This is the most important part of the installation in terms of securing the web server.

* Shut down JRun servers and the Microsoft IIS web server. On some systems, this requires shutdown of the IIS Admin Service and World Wide Web Publishing service in Control Panel.

* Copy the jrun/connectors/isapi/intel-win/jrun.dll to the /inetpub/scripts directory or re-run the connector wizard in the JRun Management Console (JMC).

* Restart the web server and JRun

Revisions
May 29, 2002 -- Bulletin first created.

Reporting Security Issues Credit
Macromedia would like to thank David Litchfield from NGS Software ( <http://www.ngssoftware.com> www.ngssoftware.com) in the United Kingdom for bringing this to our attention.

Reporting Security Issues
Macromedia is committed to addressing security issues and providing customers with the information on how they can protect themselves. If you identify what you believe may be a security issue with a Macromedia product, please send an email to <mailto:secure@macromedia.com> secure@macromedia.com. We will work to appropriately address and communicate the issue.

Receiving Security Bulletins
When Macromedia becomes aware of a security issue that we believe significantly affects our products or customers, we will notify customers when appropriate. Typically this notification will be in the form of a security bulletin explaining the issue and the response. Macromedia customers who would like to receive notification of new security bulletins when they are released can sign up for our security notification service.

For additional information on security issues at Macromedia, please visit the Security Zone at:
 <http://www.macromedia.com/security> http://www.macromedia.com/security.

ANY INFORMATION, PATCHES, DOWNLOADS, WORKAROUNDS OR FIXES PROVIDED BY MACROMEDIA IN THIS BULLETIN ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. MACROMEDIA AND ITS SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. ALSO, THERE IS NO WARRANTY OF NON-INFRINGEMENT, TITLE OR QUIET ENJOYMENT. (USA ONLY) SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

IN NO EVENT SHALL MACROMEDIA, INC. OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, COVER, LOSS OF PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION OR THE LIKE, OR LOSS OF BUSINESS DAMAGES, BASED ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY INCLUDING BREACH OF CONTRACT, BREACH OF WARRANTY, TORT(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), PRODUCT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF MACROMEDIA, INC. OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR THEIR REPRESENTATIVES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. (USA ONLY) SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER LEGAL RIGHTS THAT VARY FROM STATE TO STATE.

Macromedia reserves the right, from time to time, to update the information in this document with current information.