Media Player patch and Windows File Protection problems

From: Maxim S. Shatskih (maxim@STORAGECRAFT.COM)
Date: 04/24/02

Date:         Wed, 24 Apr 2002 03:50:53 +0400
From: "Maxim S. Shatskih" <maxim@STORAGECRAFT.COM>
To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

    The problem is with:

- Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP2
- Media Player patch WMSU47357.EXE size 942160 bytes. This is a well-known patch (discussed here on NTBugTraq around mid-Jan 2002),
which adds a checkbox to the Media Player to allow the user to switch off the unique identification by the webservers, thus
maintaining privacy. This patch+checkbox also affects IE, and thus closes a privacy hole in it.

Now the problem. Running SFC.EXE (Windows File Protection command-line tool) on the machine with this patch does the following:

1) rolls Media Player back to "no privacy checkbox" state. Version in Help/About box after the patch is 6.4.09.1116, after SFC -
6.4.09.1109.

- writes several complains to the System log about DLLs with incorrect digital signatures which are restored from the DLL cache,
thus rolling back the patch. They are:
    - dxmasf.dll. Version stamp after patch is 6.4.9.1117 size 525312 bytes, SFC rolled it back to 6.4.9.1109 size 498448 bytes.
    - msdxm.ocx (this seems to be the Media Player core). Version stamp after patch is 6.4.9.1116 size 844048 bytes, SFC rolled it
back to 6.4.9.1109 size 842000 bytes.
    - strmdll.dll. Version stamp after patch is 4.1.0.3925 size 251904 bytes, SFC rolled it back to 4.1.0.3917 size 242960 bytes.

This is a stable pattern, can be repeated several times by - run SFC - install Media Player patch - reboot (the patch requires it) -
run SFC again...

No other binaries are rolled back by SFC - from IIS patches, for instance.

Looks like the Media Player patch is broken.

2) writes several complains on DLLs which are missing but necessary. They are:
    agt0401.dll
    agt0404.dll
    agt0405.dll
    agt0408.dll
    agt040d.dll
    agt040e.dll
    agt0411.dll
    agt0412.dll
    agt0415.dll
    agt041f.dll
    agt0804.dll
    ...and so on - about hundreds of all kinds of DLLs.
This issue can be a separate one and not Media Player-related. I suspect SFC tries to check all w2k AS DLLs, even from the
installation options which were not installed with the OS. For instance, it complained on busmouse.sys, which is for sure not
installed since I have PS/2 mouse (driven by i8042prt.sys for sure). I also saw certxxx.dll or such there, and Certificate Server is
not installed.

    regards,
    Max

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Vista version Media Player 11 wont start up.
    ... start Windows Vista from your hard drive and insert the Windows Vista DVD ... wipe out the previous installation completely but obviously I was wrong. ... "I am not sure what causes the problem with Windows Media Player but at the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: OLD version(s) of gerbv and/of VesaView?
    ... These dlls were written before Jamie posted the info about dlls in the ... and Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 SP1. ... Although the dlls have originally been written for system-wide installation, ... Installation for one program (gerbv) only: ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: OLD version(s) of gerbv and/of VesaView?
    ... These dlls were written before Jamie posted the info about dlls in the ... and Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 SP1. ... Although the dlls have originally been written for system-wide installation, ... Installation for one program (gerbv) only: ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Vista version Media Player 11 wont start up.
    ... I have also created another account on my machine and media player works ... start Windows Vista from your hard drive and insert the Windows Vista DVD ... wipe out the previous installation completely but obviously I was wrong. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Vista version Media Player 11 wont start up.
    ... If you turn off the access control,then media player works fine as it does ... It is not possible to reinstall IE7 or Vista media player so this is a stale ... start Windows Vista from your hard drive and insert the Windows Vista DVD ... wipe out the previous installation completely but obviously I was wrong. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)