Q320259 - What's it all about?

From: John Hornbuckle (john.hornbuckle@TAYLOR.K12.FL.US)
Date: 04/10/02

Date:         Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:02:37 -0400
From: John Hornbuckle <john.hornbuckle@TAYLOR.K12.FL.US>
To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

I'm reading about this "critical update" for Microsoft Messenger. It's
described in Q320259. The symptoms addressed by this fix are described
as follows:

"Windows Messenger may repeatedly try to log on to the Microsoft .NET
Messenger Service in the background, and when Windows Messenger cannot
log on, no error messages are generated."

Straightforward enough, right? But the article also says this:

"To improve connectivity and system performance, even if you do not use
Windows Messenger, Microsoft recommends that you install this update."

Um... Okay, then. This patch must affect more than just Messenger. So
what, exactly, does it affect? I'm curious about the specific WinXP
"connectivity and system performance" issues addressed by this update...

_________________
John Hornbuckle
Network Manager
Taylor County School District
Perry, FL

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Remote assistance will not launch. Please help
    ... This behavior occurs if the latest version of Windows Messenger is not ... Windows Messenger on the SBS 2003-based computer. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Messenger Service Spam
    ... I'd be more upset at Zone Alarm than Microsoft. ... I think the Windows Messenger service can do some useful ... > the newer versions are shipped in "high" security ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Secure messaging
    ... Server allows for Windows Messenger to be "in-house" only. ... Sandi - Microsoft MVP since 1999 ... > completely independent of Internet access? ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Dll cache, Services applet and delete Windows Messenger
    ... Microsoft Certified Professional ... I would like some advice on turning on or off services. ... I have a program called Delete Windows Messenger. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Disable MS Messenger
    ... Such a long time that I wanted to get rid of this Spyware! ... Disable/Remove Windows Messenger - From MVP Doug Knox: ... Ramesh - Microsoft MVP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)