Q320259 - What's it all about?

From: John Hornbuckle (john.hornbuckle@TAYLOR.K12.FL.US)
Date: 04/10/02

Date:         Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:02:37 -0400
From: John Hornbuckle <john.hornbuckle@TAYLOR.K12.FL.US>
To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

I'm reading about this "critical update" for Microsoft Messenger. It's
described in Q320259. The symptoms addressed by this fix are described
as follows:

"Windows Messenger may repeatedly try to log on to the Microsoft .NET
Messenger Service in the background, and when Windows Messenger cannot
log on, no error messages are generated."

Straightforward enough, right? But the article also says this:

"To improve connectivity and system performance, even if you do not use
Windows Messenger, Microsoft recommends that you install this update."

Um... Okay, then. This patch must affect more than just Messenger. So
what, exactly, does it affect? I'm curious about the specific WinXP
"connectivity and system performance" issues addressed by this update...

John Hornbuckle
Network Manager
Taylor County School District
Perry, FL