Re: is this a bug in IIS5.0 ?

From: Russ (Russ.Cooper@RC.ON.CA)
Date: 04/09/02

Date:         Tue, 9 Apr 2002 14:03:54 -0400
From: Russ <Russ.Cooper@RC.ON.CA>
To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

Several respondents all concurred, this isn't a bug in IIS.

Azubi IFK LabTec <Azubi.IFK@mt.com> said;

Raymond Zwarts <raymond.zwarts@lostboys.nl> said;

Eric Chamberlain <echamber@socrates.Berkeley.EDU> said;

>I would not call this a bug in IIS. IIS has no way of knowing that you
>are basically doing PAT and changing the port. IIS is issuing the URL
>with the correct port, based on the inbound port. Remember that if
there
>is no port number displayed, it is really FQDN:80.
>
>What you are asking is that for an inbound request on port 79, the
>server should reply with port 80, when to the server, no service exists
>on port 80.
>
>If there is a bug, it is in the SteelBytes product, it should be
>checking for port numbers on the returned URL and changing the URL to
>the redirected port.

Cheers,
Russ - NTBugtraq Editor

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SSL only
    ... Create a new site is IIS add the host header for the current site on port 80. ... In IIS there is the option to have the site redirect to a different site. ... Any ideas on how I can redirect them to 443 first and THEN prompt for credentials? ...
  • Re: SSL only
    ... Create a new site is IIS add the host header for the current site on port 80. ... In IIS there is the option to have the site redirect to a different site. ... Any ideas on how I can redirect them to 443 first and THEN prompt for credentials? ...
  • Re: Remote Desktop web connection does not work outside my local N
    ... The web based method, using IIS, still requires you to port forward the RDP protocol to each PC ... > screen opens with the external ip of my router on the title. ... But I cant connect to any other machine on my network even ...
  • Re: how to configure host headers for 3 IIS machines ?
    ... The problem with using host headers to direct to an IP and port (or even ... > If you only have one public IP, this will not work with IIS only. ... > based on the host header, it will redirect the request to another internal ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: SBS2008 Why is port 80 opened by default?
    ... OK, IIS is looking after ... the redirect to SSL but still, I'd simply prefer the default action as ... with the IIS configuration on the SBS 2008 box, I left port 80 closed ... on the firewall because we use favourite links on machines to get ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)