is this a bug in IIS5.0 ?

From: Louis Solomon [SteelBytes] (louis@STEELBYTES.COM)
Date: 04/07/02

Date:         Sun, 7 Apr 2002 20:00:20 +1000
From: "Louis Solomon [SteelBytes]" <louis@STEELBYTES.COM>
To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

I would call this a bug in IIS.

setup:
1. disable socket pooling:
            cd c:\inetpub\adminscripts
            cscript adsutil.vbs set w3svc/disablesocketpooling true
2. setup a simple website using IIS5.0 (not yet tested with 5.1 or 4.0),
bound to 127.0.0.1:79, with a folder in it called test
3. use a port redirector to redirect the server_ip:80 to 127.0.0.1:79 (I
use PortTunnel from www.steelbytes.com)
4. use IE6 (not tested with anything else, but should happen with any
client) on a client PC to connect to http://server_ip:80/test

now, what happens, is the client sends the following
    GET http://server_ip/flamuko HTTP/1.1
    Host: server_ip

and IIS responds with
    HTTP/1.0 302 Moved Temporarily
    Location: http://server_ip:79/test/
it has done this, because although there is no file called test, there is a
folder called test (if there was also no folder by that name, then it
returns a 404)

so the client then trys http://server_ip:79/test/
which is invalid. and even worse, it doesn't straight away fail, instead it
times out, which can take quite a while.

IIS should have responded with
    HTTP/1.0 302 Moved Temporarily
    Location: http://server_ip/test/

if IIS had only changed the file/folder part of the url, and not the
host/port part of the url, then it would have given the correct result.

Louis Solomon
www.SteelBytes.com

Relevant Pages

  • RE: c1030af7 on SBS2003, after installing ProjectServer 2003 and all u
    ... Thank you for posting in SBS newsgroup. ... If no other virtual folders exist in IIS, the best way should be restoring ... In IIS, select Web Sites, and note the "Identifier" for Default Web Site ... | folder insted of the /projectserver folder work anymore. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Manually Created Web Site Does Not Work - What am I Missing?
    ... between my VS project - and therefore assembly names - and the IIS Web site. ... have the same name or folder structure as my VS project. ... The ASP.NET Dev Server runs as the Administrator account in VS 2008. ...
  • Re: Help with Interactions between IISadmin mmc and FP2003
    ... and all the main things with IIS, FP2003, ... Site Server Architecture currently in use, ... depending on whether one uses IIS Admin or FP. ... plain vanilla folder, vanilla with little globe in lower ...
    (microsoft.public.frontpage.client)
  • Re: Please help refresh my memory on AD DC
    ... "Meinolf Weber" wrote: ... Remote server ... Also that one for IIS. ... On the server where the folder is located that you like to share ...
  • Re: companyweb and remote web workplace
    ... Regarding to the Remote folder, there is no missing files or folders under ... Please enable IIS logging and help to collect the logs for analyze: ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)