Re: Potential vulnerabilities of the Microsoft RVP-based Instant Messaging

From: Brown, Keith (KBrown@DEVELOP.COM)
Date: 03/21/02

Date:         Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:51:21 -0800
From: "Brown, Keith" <KBrown@DEVELOP.COM>
To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

NTLM does in fact offer integrity and confidentiality protection of
messages after the initial handshake. The session key is a function of
the OWF(password) and the challenge. In the case of pass-through
authentication, the session key is passed from the authority to the
server over a secure channel.

For those interested, I provide an overview of how NTLM works in my
book, Programming Windows Security (Addison Wesley, 2000).

Keith
http://www.develop.com/kbrown