Re: Internet Explorer SuperCookies bypass P3P and cookie controls

From: Barry Dorrans (barryd@BANN.CO.UK)
Date: 01/15/02

Date:         Tue, 15 Jan 2002 16:05:38 -0000
From: Barry Dorrans <barryd@BANN.CO.UK>
To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

> One solution to this problem is for Microsoft to remove
> the ClientID property from the WMP ActiveX control. For
> compatibility with existing JavaScript code, Microsoft may
> have to keep the property around, but always have it return a
> GUID of all zeros for all users.
>
> An even better idea might be to remove the WMP player
> ID number altogether and have WMP instead use the standard
> cookie mechanism of Internet Explorer.

This would break the Windows Media DRM, the player ID is used to
uniquely lock a license against a particular computer. Regardless of how
you feel about DRM in general, this unique identifier is necessary for
some of us.

Before anyone suggests that the ID should only be reported from within
the license acquisition popup that media player (or any DRM compatible
player - WinAmp would do the same), that would still break predelivery
code, where you deliver the license without a user having to play a
file.

Regards,

Barry

FREE E-COMMERCE SECURITY INFRASTRUCTURE GUIDE
When building an e-commerce site, you want to start with a strong, secure
foundation. Learn how with VeriSign's FREE White Paper, "Building an
E-Commerce Trust Infrastructure." See how you can authenticate your site to
customers, use 128-Bit SSL encryption to secure your web servers, and accept
secure payments online. Click here:
http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n116965650045000

  • Re: WMP 11 Library does not add all wav files
    ... Every edit disappeared. ... was doing was editing each individual entry as it appeared in the player, ... Editor") can provide limited Tagging of .wav files. ... WMP completes search, new entries are shown in the player. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Windows Media Player does not work on Internet
    ... See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info. ... I can't get my windows media player to play the ... to play on certain web sites like we have already discussed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • RE: Ideas for Windows Media Player 12
    ... i have only one request and it seems to be something that no player on earth ... i want a delete the current playing song button. ... First thing Microsoft needs to do is make WMP as easy to ... great feature in past versions of WMP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Default Mpg Player?
    ... I'm not familiar with ATI MM Center... ... See http://www.zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info. ... > player other than WMP) I would appreciate it. ... >>> and WMP opens again. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: setup_wm.exe entry point not found
    ... See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info. ... I updated Adobe Flash player and Shockwave Player. ... were installed before executing the WMP 9 upgrade from the Windows ... it safe to install WMP9Codecs.exe? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)