Re: MS01-058 problems and more

From: Russ (Russ.Cooper@RC.ON.CA)
Date: 01/14/02

Date:         Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:01:38 -0500
From: Russ <Russ.Cooper@RC.ON.CA>
To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

On December 18, 2001, I said;

>1. I've received more than a dozen reports of problems with MS01-058. I
>can't see any distinct commonality amongst the affected systems (its
>possible systems that applied MS01-055 have problems, and those that
>weren't patched don't, that's as close as I've been able to determine).
>few say it totally botched their system, but most complain that after
it
>was installed it created huge lag times when resolving URLs from links
on
>a page (e.g. 30 seconds plus).

I have not received any further reports of problems with MS01-058, nor
have I received any SRX numbers representing cases opened by NTBugtraq
subscribers who encountered problems with MS01-058.

The lack of any further communications on this problem suggest it's a
non-issue, or at the least a rare occurrence. I have since installed
MS01-058 on several of my systems without problem.

If anyone encounters trouble, please remember;

>MS still says they've had no reports of problems, and ask me to remind
>you to call Microsoft Product Support Services and go through the
problem
>with them. The call is free if you tell them it's a problem due to a
>Security Bulletin fix, and it's the only way they can get enough triage
>done to determine where the problem lies. So call them.
>
>If anyone can get PSS to reproduce their problems with MS01-058, please
>drop me a note with your SRX number.

Cheers,
Russ - Surgeon General of TruSecure Corporation/NTBugtraq Editor

FREE E-COMMERCE SECURITY INFRASTRUCTURE GUIDE
When building an e-commerce site, you want to start with a strong, secure
foundation. Learn how with VeriSign's FREE White Paper, "Building an
E-Commerce Trust Infrastructure." See how you can authenticate your site to
customers, use 128-Bit SSL encryption to secure your web servers, and accept
secure payments online. Click here:
http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n116965650045000

Relevant Pages