MS01-058 problems and more

From: Russ (Russ.Cooper@RC.ON.CA)
Date: 12/19/01

Date:         Tue, 18 Dec 2001 21:57:55 -0500
From: Russ <Russ.Cooper@RC.ON.CA>
To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

1. I've received more than a dozen reports of problems with MS01-058. I
can't see any distinct commonality amongst the affected systems (its
possible systems that applied MS01-055 have problems, and those that weren't
patched don't, that's as close as I've been able to determine). A few say it
totally botched their system, but most complain that after it was installed
it created huge lag times when resolving URLs from links on a page (e.g. 30
seconds plus).

MS still says they've had no reports of problems, and ask me to remind you
to call Microsoft Product Support Services and go through the problem with
them. The call is free if you tell them it's a problem due to a Security
Bulletin fix, and it's the only way they can get enough triage done to
determine where the problem lies. So call them.

If anyone can get PSS to reproduce their problems with MS01-058, please drop
me a note with your SRX number.

2. A few people mentioned they hadn't received the MS01-058 Security
Bulletin. I agreed with them, I never got it either...or so I thought...;-]
Seems that on 12/14 Microsoft changed the method of delivering Security
Bulletin Notifications, including the Subject line and From address. I guess
nobody over at the Microsoft Security Response Center uses Outlook Rules to
sort their mail (or trigger pop-ups, reminders, or forward such messages to
pages, or otherwise trigger an event to cause you to read the advisory), a
heads up would've been nice.

Look for a message in your mailbox with the subject line;

Microsoft Security Notification Service (I do hope they go back to
meaningful subject lines)

From:
.com

Like me, you'll probably find it in there somewhere dated 12/14.

3. In a previous message I suggested how to resolve problems with MS
Knowledgebase articles where the links are presented as ASPX. Who knows why
some people are having problems (that's a rhetorical question, I know some
of you know some of the reasons why it might cause problems), but I got this
great tip for IE users (thanks to Tim Plas!).

Just type;

MSKB Q###### or MSKB ######

in the "Address" drop-down listbox. I don't know what all versions of IE
this works on (I know it works on 5.5 and 6.0 at least), doesn't matter, if
it works for you its cool and easy. You learn something every day...;-]

Cheers,
Russ - Surgeon General of TruSecure Corporation/NTBugtraq Editor

Protect your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption!
Get VeriSign's FREE guide, "Securing Your Web Site for Business." You will
learn everything you need to know about using SSL to encrypt your e-commerce
transactions for serious online security. Click here!
http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n016065650057000

  • Re: Has anybody heard of MS04-025?
    ... The message was titled "Microsoft Security Response Center ... MSFT site, somewhere, so you could validate it it that way. ... My last bulletin, received on July 13, was titled "Microsoft Security ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-040 - 828750
    ... Security Patch. ... > that even if you are subscribed to our security bulletin notification ... Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer Execution ... >> The Microsoft Security Response Center has released Microsoft Security ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-040 - 828750
    ... Security Patch. ... > that even if you are subscribed to our security bulletin notification ... Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer Execution ... >> The Microsoft Security Response Center has released Microsoft Security ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-040 - 828750
    ... Security Patch. ... > that even if you are subscribed to our security bulletin notification ... Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer Execution ... >> The Microsoft Security Response Center has released Microsoft Security ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: OE Send/Recieve Broken - NOT firewall/av-related
    ... > are authoritative in all matters concerning Microsoft Security Bulletins! ... >> client installed and no third party firewall. ...