Administrivia #35251 - MCP Credential Versioning

From: Russ (Russ.Cooper@RC.ON.CA)
Date: 10/12/01

Date:         Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:34:41 -0400
From: Russ <Russ.Cooper@RC.ON.CA>
Subject:      Administrivia #35251 - MCP Credential Versioning
To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

Some FYI;

1. Administrivia messages are message that I craft pertaining to the
list, or the list community, that are not strictly a security bug
report or other strictly security-related information. The number in
the subject line indicates the number of subscribers to the list at
the time of writing. These messages often contain editorial content
and aren't up for list debate, that's my prerogative as Editor...;-]

2. The NTBugtraq List Charter page,
http://www.ntbugtraq.com/ntbugfaq.asp, contains information on how to
receive the digest version of NTBugtraq. It also provides information
about the "Alert" topic, a way to minimize the number of messages you
actually receive from NTBugtraq to those very few messages which are
deemed critical. If you haven't already done so, check it out.

3. The list setup was changed about a month ago to try and minimize
the number of automatic responses posters received. The change means
that the "Reply-To:" address of list messages is the list itself, not
the poster. The original poster's address is retained in the message,
but any properly written email client (written according to the RFCs)
is going to ignore that and use only the "Reply-to:" address. As
such, if you hit reply to an NTBugtraq message, the reply will go to
the list address for consideration to be distributed to the list.

Many people haven't noticed this and send private replies, intended
for the poster, through to the list. Please pay attention to your
email client.

There are also a great many email clients which are brain-dead, and
as such, posters still receive numerous Out of Office replies to
their list messages. I can't control this. I do what I can but there
will always be 30-60 subscribers at a given time that will send these
not an RFC'd message header item. Set up a rule in your Out of Office
client that says that any message sent to
NTBugtraq@listserv.ntbugtraq.com shouldn't receive an auto-response.

No need to forward the response you do get to a list post, each time
I post I get whatever set is current and deal with them
appropriately.

4. I'm actually quite surprised at the number of people who have
contacted me about this topic. Most have said they couldn't find
anything on Microsoft's website in support of various stories which
have run indicating that Microsoft will no longer decertify MCP
Certificate holders, but instead implement MCP Certificate
Versioning. See;

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2001/oct01/10-11MCPUpdatesPR.
asp

http://www.microsoft.com/trainingandservices/default.asp?PageID=mcp&Pa
geCall=announcement&SubSite=articles

Cheers,
Russ - Surgeon General of TruSecure Corporation/NTBugtraq Editor

BEST-OF-BREED ANTIVIRUS SOLUTION FOR MICROSOFT EXCHANGE 2000
Earn 5% rebate on licenses purchased for Trend Micro ScanMail for
Microsoft Exchange 2000 between October 1 and November 16. ScanMail
ensures 100% scanning of inbound and outbound traffic and provides
remote software management. For program details or to download your
30-day FREE evaluation copy:
http://www.antivirus.com/banners/tracking.asp?si=53&BI;=245&UL;=http://www.ant
ivirus.com/smex2000_rebate