Mutex

From: Attonbitus Deus (Thor@HAMMEROFGOD.COM)
Date: 09/20/01

Date:         Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:34:00 -0700
From: Attonbitus Deus <Thor@HAMMEROFGOD.COM>
Subject:      Mutex
To: NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM

Blaine Kubesh reported that having an open handle to a mutex named
"fsdhqherwqi2001" kills Nimda.
After posting the app I quickly coded up to do this, others tested it and
said it keeps a box from becomming infected both initially and recurrently.

Some mail servers kicked back the zipped up .exe file, so I have posted it
on the Hammer of God site, and can be downloaded here:
http://www.hammerofgod.com/download/mutex.zip

The zip includes the exe and the cpp source for those interested. It simply
opens the handle, and waits for you to hit the letter 'q' to kill the
session. That's all, and it reportedly works.

Blaine gets all the credit; I just coded the thing up real quick. Go nuts.

Later.
---------------------------------
Attonbitus Deus
rm -rf /bin/laden

Relevant Pages

  • Mutex
    ... "fsdhqherwqi2001" kills Nimda. ... After posting the app I quickly coded up to do this, ... Some mail servers kicked back the zipped up .exe file, ... opens the handle, and waits for you to hit the letter 'q' to kill the ...
    (Incidents)
  • Mutex
    ... "fsdhqherwqi2001" kills Nimda. ... After posting the app I quickly coded up to do this, ... Some mail servers kicked back the zipped up .exe file, ... opens the handle, and waits for you to hit the letter 'q' to kill the ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: all .exe files are opening in Wordpad
    ... Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User] ... I mistakenly set all .exe files to open with wordpad. ... it opens with wordpad and shows a bunch of unreadable ... if i right click on an .exe file, it does not give me the option to "open ...
  • Deleted registry with AdAware 6.0 DOH!!
    ... I have no icons that match what they are supposed to do. ... You click on an .exe file, and it pulls up a box which says cannot ... open Itunes..and then itunes opens, but it won?t open any other way. ... I did a system restore back to before when I had this ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Double click cannot start any desktop applications
    ... When you right click on an icon on the desktop, is Open the top item and is ... You Are Unable to Start a Program with an .exe File Extension ... Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder or Drive ... Fixes the problem where Search or Command Prompt opens ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)