RE: IPS technology question.

From: Palmer, Paul (ISSAtlanta) (PPalmer_at_iss.net)
Date: 08/30/05

Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:32:27 -0400
To: <THolman@toplayer.com>, <dswift@ipolicynetworks.com>, <planz2009@gmail.com>, <snort.user@gmail.com>

Tim,

PCI-X is 133MHz, but that translates to 1.06GBps. That is, the bandwidth
is slightly over one gigabyte per second, not one gigabit per second.
The maximum theoretical bit rate would then be about 8.5 gigabits/sec.
If you then consider that the Intel architecture allows for multiple
PCI-X busses, bus bandwidth is even less of a bottleneck.

Paul