Re: [Full-disclosure] Fwd: Rate Stratfor's Incident Response

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 15:55:28 EST, Shyaam Sundhar said:

My question(s) would be: why are people sloppy by nature when it comes to
security? Why is security still considered as a blanket as opposed to the core
of any system?

In most shops, the level of competence is barely sufficient to make sure that
the payroll system prints a check for every employee with the correct number on
it. Trying to keep the system running *and* secure is beyond their competence
level, so you have to choose one - running or secure. Most managers will
choose 'running', because if they choose 'secure', *they* don't get a paycheck
either...

(Vastly oversimplified, but that's pretty much it in a nutshell).

  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Fwd: Rate Stratfors Incident Response
    ... Why is security still considered as a blanket as opposed to the core ... Trying to keep the system running *and* secure is beyond their competence ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Ten least secure programs
    ... it's probably better you leave the topic alone ... I said I do not have security issues with the programs I code. ... I didn't realize you were a Linux user, ... > the most widely used and secure UNIX flavors? ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • "An Asp.Net accident waiting to happen" - Draft article
    ... In a time where Security ... in shared hosting environments. ... technologies that allow the creation and deployment of secure ... IIS 6 web server and windows 2003 also provide some tools to deploy ...
  • RE: Why Easy To Use Software Is Putting You At Risk
    ... I do agree that the additions and changes to Solarius will make it more secure and that this is good. ... Why Easy To Use Software Is Putting You At Risk ... instead I would say that the view that security is ... Four Construction Workers Died after Crane Collapse in Toledo, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Why Easy To Use Software Is Putting You At Risk
    ... Anyone who has been working with computers for a long time will have noticed ... because DNS does not configure properly or security permissions are relaxed ... Is It Also Secure ... guarantee that no one really knows for sure, not even Microsoft developers. ...
    (Security-Basics)