[Full-disclosure] silly PoCs continue: X-Frame-Options give you less than expected

At the risk of annoying everyone...

I think we greatly underappreciate the extent to which JavaScript
allows you to exploit the limits of human perception. On modern
high-performance systems, windows can be opened, positioned, and
closed; and documents loaded and then navigated away from; so quickly
that we can't even reliably notice that, let alone react consciously.

The PoC I posted here earlier this week
(http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/switch/) demonstrates one example of page
transitions occurring so fast that you don't register it; and some of
my earlier posts outlined the exploitation of page switching to
exploit browser UIs (e.g. http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/ffgeo2/). Today,
I wanted to share this brief demonstration of an attack that should
hopefully illustrate why our current way of thinking about
clickjacking (and the possible defenses, such as X-Frame-Options) is
flawed:

http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/clickit/

The basic idea here is that instead of placing the UI you want to
tamper with in an invisible or only partly-visible <iframe>, you can
achieve a similar effect simply by predicting the time of a
premeditated click (which is fairly easy if you look at mouse velocity
and distance to the expected destination), and then either destroying
the current window, or navigating to a different document (in this
case, a cheesy banking site).

While everything about this exploit is extremely goofy, and I put no
effort into making the transitions less obvious, it should still
demonstrate the issue neatly.

/mz

  • silly PoCs continue: X-Frame-Options give you less than expected
    ... [Resubmitting - I think the original post did not go through last ... high-performance systems, windows can be opened, positioned, and ... or navigating to a different document (in this ... effort into making the transitions less obvious, ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Recommend a freeware RPG
    ... still it keeps crashing on me on savegame loads & on transitions to tactical maps, so I never really even got to mission 1. ... Not to mention my windows shortcut issue is still happening - it's actually any file association or executable or shortcut - when I double-click it my disk thrashes for 1-3minsbefore firing up the program. ... it started some time after I installed UFO & updated my ATI drivers. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg)
  • Windows Movie Maker 2.1 incompatibilty issue with ATI Radeon cards
    ... Since I installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 and thus also Windows Movie ... In case of the transitions, when I select the transition and use the preview ... it just skips the animation and directly jumps to the end result ... - Scroll, Inverted ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker)
  • Re: Javascript to include field on next form
    ... Okay, I should have navigated back up to the original poster, but I ... Navigating back up to the original post? ... Regardless, like frames, new windows have nothing to do with ... new windows in today's climate of paranoia and pop-up blockers is very ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)
  • Re: New feature
    ... To create a slide show with no transitions ... File formats supported by Windows ... Movie Maker in Windows XP ... For example to apply the same motion of "no motion" effect, transition to all images. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos)