Re: [Full-disclosure] Question on root credentials for scanning

Well it depends on the scanner, and by my guess you're likely using nmap and
so yes root privs are required mainly to access raw sockets so it can use
its nifty math to figure out all the cool bits.

Generally speaking such privs are required by anything that does anything
really useful.