[Full-disclosure] [Onapsis Security Advisory 2011-015] SAP WebAS webrfc Cross-Site Scripting
- From: Onapsis Research Labs <research@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 09:01:41 -0300
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Onapsis Security Advisory 2011-015: SAP WebAS webrfc Cross-Site Scripting
This advisory can be downloaded in PDF format from http://www.onapsis.com/.
By downloading this advisory from the Onapsis Resource Center, you will gain access to beforehand information on upcoming advisories, presentations
and new research projects from the Onapsis Research Labs, as well asexclusive access to special promotions for upcoming trainings and conferences.
1. Impact on Business
By exploiting this vulnerability, an internal or external attacker would be able to perform attacks on the Organization's users through weaknesses in
the SAP system.
Upon a successful exploitation, he would be able to obtain sensitive information from legitimate users through social engineering attacks and/or
exploit vulnerabilities in their systems in order to take control of them.
Risk Level: Medium
2. Advisory Information
- - Release Date: 2011-09-14
- - Last Revised: 2011-09-14
- - Security Advisory ID: ONAPSIS-2011-015
- - Onapsis SVS ID: ONAPSIS-00040
- - Researcher: Mariano Nuñez Di Croce
3. Vulnerability Information
- - Vendor: SAP
- - Affected Components:
* SAP Web Application Server 7.00 Patch Number 95
( Check note 1536640 for detailed information on affected releases)
- - Vulnerability Class: Cross-Site Scripting (XSS)
- - Remotely Exploitable: Yes
- - Locally Exploitable: No
- - Authentication Required: Yes
- - Original Advisory: http://www.onapsis.com/resources/get.php?resid=adv_onapsis-2011-015
4. Affected Components Description
The SAP Web Application Server provides access to many services through a Web engine, called the SAP Internet Communication Framework (ICM).
5. Vulnerability Details
It has been detected that the WEBRFC ICF service suffers from an input validation vulnerability, which can be exploited to perform XSS attacks.
Further technical details about this issue are not disclosed at this moment with the purpose of providing enough time to affected customers to patch
their systems and protect against the exploitation of the described vulnerability.
SAP has released SAP Note 1536640 which provide patched versions of the affected components.
The patches can be downloaded from https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1536640
Onapsis strongly recommends SAP customers to download the related security fixes and apply them to the affected components in order to reduce business
7. Report Timeline
* 2011-01-25: Onapsis provides vulnerability information to SAP.
* 2011-01-25: SAP confirms reception of vulnerability submission.
* 2011-05-10: SAP releases SAP Note 1536640 fixing the vulnerability.
* 2011-09-14: Onapsis releases security advisory.
About Onapsis Research Labs
Onapsis is continuously investing resources in the research of the security of business critical systems and applications.
With that objective in mind, a special unit ? the Onapsis Research Labs ? has been developed since the creation of the company. The experts involved
in this special team lead the public research trends in this matter, having discovered and published many of the public security vulnerabilities in
The outcome of this advanced and cutting-edge research is continuously provided to the Onapsis Consulting and Development teams, improving the quality
of our solutions and enabling our customers to be protected from the latest risks to their critical business information.
Furthermore, the results of this research projects are usually shared with the general security and professional community, encouraging the sharing of
information and increasing the common knowledge in this field.
Onapsis is the leading provider of solutions for the security of ERP systems and business-critical applications. Through different innovative products
and services, Onapsis helps its global customers to effectively increase the security level of their core business platforms, protecting their
information and decreasing financial fraud risks.
Onapsis is built upon a team of world-renowned experts in the SAP security field, with several years of experience in the assessment and protection of
critical platforms in world-wide customers, such as Fortune-100 companies and governmental entities.
Our star product, Onapsis X1, enables our customers to perform automated Security & Compliance Audits, Vulnerability Assessments and Penetration Tests
over their SAP platform, helping them enforce compliance requirements, decrease financial fraud risks an reduce audit costs drastically.
Some of our featured services include SAP Penetration Testing, SAP Gateway & RFC security, SAP Enterprise Portal security assessment, Security Support
for SAP Implementations and Upgrades, SAP System Hardening and SAP Technical Security Audits.
For further information about our solutions, please contact us at info@xxxxxxxxxxx and visit our website at www.onapsis.com.
Copyright (c) 2011 Onapsis SRL. All rights reserved.
This advisory may be distributed as long as its distribution is free-of-charge and proper credit is given.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
- Prev by Date: [Full-disclosure] [Onapsis Security Advisory 2011-014] SAP WebAS Remote Denial of Service
- Next by Date: Re: [Full-disclosure] WordPress Auctions plugin <= 1.8.8 SQL Injection
- Previous by thread: [Full-disclosure] [Onapsis Security Advisory 2011-014] SAP WebAS Remote Denial of Service
- Next by thread: [Full-disclosure] XEE vulnerabilities in SharePoint (MS11-074) and DotNetNuke