This is the Internet circa 2011 + Humanity circa Anytime.
Nothing more can be expected from a bunch of unwashed monkeys with
keyboards lacking the talent to truly create.

On 09/10/2011 10:20 AM, Thor (Hammer of God) wrote:
I don’t think anyone actually believed this; It sounded more like Joro
was trolling on behalf of the blog monkeys J

It really does make me wonder if the
publish-whatever-we-see-posted-elsewhere-while-abandoning-journalistic-integrity-to-drive-ad-clicks
model is actually working for these people. I suppose it must be,
otherwise these guys wouldn’t be selling off little pieces of their soul
with each article.

*From:*full-disclosure-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:full-disclosure-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] *On Behalf Of *Dan
Kaminsky
*Sent:* Friday, September 09, 2011 3:09 PM
*To:* Georgi Guninski
*Cc:* full-disclosure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Subject:* Re: [Full-disclosure] Recent claims that windows update is broken

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:55 AM, Georgi Guninski <guninski@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:guninski@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/07/diginotar_hacker_proof/
"I'm able to issue windows update," he [Comodohacker] wrote.
"Microsoft's statement about Windows Update and that I can't issue such
update is totally false!"

The original Comodohacker statement is at: http://pastebin.com/85WV10EL

Is this true?

For the record, no. Windows Update doesn't just depend on
WinVerifyTrust, it also calls CertVerifyCertificateChainPolicy with the
CERT_CHAIN_POLICY_MICROSOFT_ROOT flag, documented here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa377163(v=vs.85).aspx

--
joro