Re: [Full-disclosure] Recent claims that windows update is broken

I don't think anyone actually believed this; It sounded more like Joro was trolling on behalf of the blog monkeys :)

It really does make me wonder if the publish-whatever-we-see-posted-elsewhere-while-abandoning-journalistic-integrity-to-drive-ad-clicks model is actually working for these people. I suppose it must be, otherwise these guys wouldn't be selling off little pieces of their soul with each article.

From: full-disclosure-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:full-disclosure-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dan Kaminsky
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 3:09 PM
To: Georgi Guninski
Cc: full-disclosure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Recent claims that windows update is broken

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:55 AM, Georgi Guninski <guninski@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:guninski@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/07/diginotar_hacker_proof/
"I'm able to issue windows update," he [Comodohacker] wrote. "Microsoft's statement about Windows Update and that I can't issue such update is totally false!"

The original Comodohacker statement is at: http://pastebin.com/85WV10EL

Is this true?

For the record, no. Windows Update doesn't just depend on WinVerifyTrust, it also calls CertVerifyCertificateChainPolicy with the CERT_CHAIN_POLICY_MICROSOFT_ROOT flag, documented here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa377163(v=vs.85).aspx

--
joro