Re: [Full-disclosure] Sony: No firewall and no patches

-----Original Message-----
From: Tracy Reed [mailto:treed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2011 7:17 PM
To: Ivan .
Cc: Thor (Hammer of God); full-disclosure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Sony: No firewall and no patches

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 09:33:23AM +1000, Ivan . spake thusly:
I guess that makes a mockery of the PCI DSS framework!

Not at all. PCI DSS does not guarantee security. And if they didn't have a
firewall and were running outdated software they weren't compliant
anyway.

I agree - You can chalk that one up to the auditors. There was mention of that in the article, and I too would be interested in what auditing firm signed off on that one. I too am in the list of people hosed, and it is this type of thing that makes me happy that I practice what I preach when it comes to using a separate card (and account) for internet purchases as well as an assigned PO box. I'm *really* glad I used a fake birthday, but I do that all the time.

SONY ORD stock has also dropped 10% since the 26th of April. Pretty harsh. This will end up costing everyone quite a bit.

  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] ISS Security Brief: "MS Blast" MSRPC DCOM Worm Propagation (fwd)
    ... Once you turn on the packet filtering, you either allow all, or deny all ... XP's "firewall" has several pre-defined higher layer protocols that ... #Full-Disclosure - We believe in it. ... in error, please contact us immediately at 816.421.6611, and delete the communication from any computer or network system. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] ISS Security Brief: "MS Blast" MSRPC DCOM Worm Propagation (fwd)
    ... Subject: [Full-Disclosure] ISS Security Brief: "MS Blast" MSRPC DCOM ... Once you turn on the packet filtering, you either allow all, or deny all ... XP's "firewall" has several pre-defined higher layer protocols that you ... communication from any computer or network system. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] 3rd party patch for XP for MS09-048?
    ... [Full-disclosure] 3rd party patch for XP for MS09-048? ... protection the firewall provides. ... During the Q&A, however, Windows users repeatedly asked Microsoft's ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Cannot activate firewall, amoung may Sony problems.
    ... I have been working on a Sony PC for days now, ... To start, the customer joined a broadband connection without SP2, any ... The big problem is that I cannot turn on the Windows firewall. ... I did install zonealarm, but she finds that too complicated ...
  • Re: [Full-disclosure] PC Firewall Choices
    ... Subject: [Full-disclosure] PC Firewall Choices ... My>understanding is that Norton has actually acquired Sygate and that the>Sygate Personal Firewall probably wouldn't be the best choice of these>now. ... >Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html ...
    (Full-Disclosure)