Re: [Full-disclosure] Sony: No firewall and no patches

-----Original Message-----
From: Tracy Reed [mailto:treed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2011 7:17 PM
To: Ivan .
Cc: Thor (Hammer of God); full-disclosure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Sony: No firewall and no patches

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 09:33:23AM +1000, Ivan . spake thusly:
I guess that makes a mockery of the PCI DSS framework!

Not at all. PCI DSS does not guarantee security. And if they didn't have a
firewall and were running outdated software they weren't compliant
anyway.

I agree - You can chalk that one up to the auditors. There was mention of that in the article, and I too would be interested in what auditing firm signed off on that one. I too am in the list of people hosed, and it is this type of thing that makes me happy that I practice what I preach when it comes to using a separate card (and account) for internet purchases as well as an assigned PO box. I'm *really* glad I used a fake birthday, but I do that all the time.

SONY ORD stock has also dropped 10% since the 26th of April. Pretty harsh. This will end up costing everyone quite a bit.