[Full-disclosure] Sorax PDF Reader version 2.0<= Insecure DLL Hijacking Vulnerability (dwmapi.dll)
- From: YGN Ethical Hacker Group <lists@xxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 03:10:53 +0800
The Sorax PDF Reader application is vulnerable to Insecure DLL
Hijacking Vulnerability. Similar terms that describe this
vulnerability have been come up with Remote Binary Planting, and
Insecure DLL Loading/Injection/Hijacking/Preloading.
2. PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Free and Easy-to-use PDF and eBook viewer. There is no need for
installation (for this reason, it can be started directly from any
kind of storage device - CD, PenDrive, etc.). Different language
versions may be created with the help of easily set local settings.
3. VULNERABILITY DESCRIPTION
The Sorax PDF Reader application passes an insufficiently qualified
path in loading its external library - "dwmapi.dll"
when a user opens its associated file with extensions - pdf .
4. VERSIONS AFFECTED
2.0 and probably lower versions
Tested Platform: Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Fresh Windows)
Attackers can trigger a successful exploit against a victim user in a
number of ways such as placing a malicious external
library file made as hidden attribute and a seemingly interesting file
in network shares, usb drives, file sharing networks,
social networks, ..etc
Fixed version from the vendor has not been released yet.
However, it is suggested that the following workarounds be deployed by
users to protect increasing mass exploitation of this
- Disable loading of libraries from WebDAV and remote network shares
- Disable the WebClient service
Please see workaround solution links in References section.
This vulnerability was discovered by Aung Khant, http://yehg.net, YGN
Ethical Hacker Group, Myanmar.
10. DISCLOSURE TIME-LINE
09-11-2010: notified vendor
09-13-2010: vulnerability disclosed
Original Advisory URL:
Workaround Solution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2264107
Unofficial DLL Hijacking List:
Testing for DLL Hijacking:
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/
- Prev by Date: Re: [Full-disclosure] Adobe Flash Player IE version 10.1.x Insecure DLL Hijacking Vulnerability (dwmapi.dll)
- Next by Date: [Full-disclosure] Nuance PDF Reader version 6.0<= Insecure DLL Hijacking Vulnerability (dwmapi.dll, exceptiondumpdll.dll)
- Previous by thread: [Full-disclosure] SoMud P2P version 1.2.8 <= Insecure DLL Hijacking Vulnerability (wintab32.dll)
- Next by thread: [Full-disclosure] Nuance PDF Reader version 6.0<= Insecure DLL Hijacking Vulnerability (dwmapi.dll, exceptiondumpdll.dll)