Re: [Full-disclosure] Multiple memory corruption vulnerabilities in Ghostscript

On Tue, 11 May 2010 20:27:35 -0400
Dan Rosenberg <dan.j.rosenberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

==Solution==

In the absence of a patch, users are encouraged to discontinue use of
Ghostscript or avoid processing untrusted PostScript files.

Ghostscript is an important part of most Linux systems out there. If
you remove Ghostscript, you remove the ability to print in most cases.

The advice to avoid opening unknown PS files is good. I wonder whether
a similar flaw exists in Ghostscript's handling of PDF files. If such
an attack is possible with a PDF, the flaw is potentially much more
serious.

--
Hawaiian Astronomical Society: http://www.hawastsoc.org
HAS Deepsky Atlas: http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky

  • Re: [Full-disclosure] Multiple memory corruption vulnerabilities in Ghostscript
    ... In the absence of a patch, users are encouraged to discontinue use of ... Ghostscript or avoid processing untrusted PostScript files. ... Last I checked, PDF wasn't a Turing-complete ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: GV,GS, Ghostview, GhostScript
    ... ones) and PostScript files (I think all I need it to display). ... now set things up to use the new ghostscript image. ... reasonably modern PostScript and PDF files can be displayed? ... I had to install additional font files into GS_LIB. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • GView 1.50 displays PDF files
    ... GView could not be used to view PDF files even though GhostScript ... There are other PDF viewers for RISC OS, so why would you want to use ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.announce)
  • Re: pdf -> pcl using Ghostscript
    ... Which is itself not possible due to the nature of PDF files. ... the PCL driver is built in to Ghostscript. ... Look at the pdf2ps script that comes with Ghostscript. ...
    (comp.text.pdf)
  • Re: Trying to print batch of PDF files programmatically
    ... > Does anyone know of a way to print PDF files programmatically, ... David, I'd look into GhostScript. ... > without user interaction? ... the OLE control PDF.PDFCtrl any longer... ...