[Full-disclosure] UK jails schizophrenic for refusal to decrypt files

The first person jailed under draconian UK police powers that
Ministers said were vital to battle terrorism and serious crime has
been identified by The Register as a schizophrenic science hobbyist
with no previous criminal record.

His crime was a persistent refusal to give counter-terrorism police
the keys to decrypt his computer files.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/24/ripa_jfl/

  • Re: Civil War: Will the NRA oppose the registration act? --
    ... freely outdoors is a crime in and of itself. ... If I had the ability to nuke NYC, it would be an innate part of my ... register if they want to wear a mask and beat the crap out of drug ... Samaritan laws. ...
    (rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe)
  • Re: {OT} Sixteen year old girl...
    ... likelyhood that these people would commit a crime against a child. ... You need a controlled experiment to conclude that, ... There are some who register in situations with adults and minors. ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)
  • Re: Mighty Avengers #1 (Spoilers)
    ... and incarceration for the 'crime' of ... ... it is against the law to have powers and not be ... If a person has superhuman powers, they must register. ... Is Hawkeye a superhero? ...
    (rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe)
  • Re: Mighty Avengers #1 (Spoilers)
    ... crime, commit crime, *or* possess super-powers. ... Again, the scope of the law depends entirely on which books you read, ... retire rather than register and another character (who had seemingly ... mutants are de facto registered. ...
    (rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe)