Re: [Full-disclosure] Dumb question: Is Windows box behind a router safe ?

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:29:20 PDT, Steven Anders said:

I have always thought that having a computer behind the router (since router
has firewall) is generally safe, but I would love to hear insights or
thoughts.

In general, that's true. Most of the current popular infection vectors are
connected with web browsers or e-mail. It's pretty hard to whack a Windows
box that's just sitting there behind a firewall. But all bets are off once
you start surfing websites...

And remember - although Firefox has a somewhat better security history
than IE, *NO SOFTWARE IS BUG FREE*.

2. If a Windows box is behind a router, could a botnet be installed to it ?
Assuming, the end user does not install/download any applications from the
Internet and always use Firefox.

Yes, if the user uses Firefox to hit a site that has malware that will use a
Firefox bug (see above), you can get a botnet on it. Most firewalls/routers
are configured to automatically pass all outbound traffic, so the botnet
software can easily phone home to get further instructions/updates.

  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... IE, Firefox and Opera. ... I'll try to put some perspective behind this firewall stuff. ... Average Joe on a budget might well go into PC World, ... The hacker basically has to turn up dressed like a pizza delivery boy, ...
    (uk.people.support.depression)
  • Re: Windows Firewall aktiviert sich beim Booten von alleine
    ... Da setzte ich auf Firefox mit dem Adblock Plugin. ... Welche Software ersetzt mir bei Norton die Angriffswarnung von außen. ... "Angriff" aufgeblasen. ... kann das Logging der XP Firewall aktivieren und sich ...
    (microsoft.public.de.security.heimanwender)
  • Re: Windows xp security
    ... I have made mistakes in configuration files in Linux that made the system wide open but I was not exposed because of the firewall configuration. ... Computer security is not relying on any single layer to keep you secure but multiple layers that must be crossed before communication occurs. ... I too have been running Firefox since the .8 days and am aware of several vulnerabilities where the flaw was related to Java or Windows where simply viewing an image could compromise the system. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Licenses do not download- Error: 438- despite recovery confirmation
    ... Lavasoft's new firewall. ... as to trying to get license migration using firefox, ... that blasted IE7 to do this. ... (i think firefox programmers don't even bother with the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: How can I kill IE?!?!?!!?
    ... > router with the firewall active, and have McAfee security suite installed... ... > forbid sites to install apps on my computer. ... I am using FireFox in Windows XP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)