Re: [Full-disclosure] НА: WPA attack improved to 1min, MITM

Rijndael (AES) is a symmetric block cipher. Why WPA2 uses symmetric
cryptography in a communication (which is an asymmetric situation)?

In what way do you mean it is asymmetric? CCMP can be used with
preshared keys. Even if authentication were using asymmetric
algorithms, have you looked at any real-world crypto protocols that
use public keys for authentication? They pretty much all use
symmetric ciphers for encryption after agreeing on a session key, so
this isn't unusual. As another poster mentioned, the primary reason
for this is performance.

tim

  • Re: Crypto Mini-FAQ
    ... may be superceded by Practical Cryptography, ... easy to make a cipher that can't be broken from a sample message, ... : Q: How large should my keys be? ... : Q: Will quantum computers make all this crypto obsolete? ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Mathematical Functions not Needed
    ... Applying this to number-theoretic cryptography, ... Mutual database technology enables large arrays of random keys to be ... Heavy mathematics is not needed, (I happen to like mathematics but I ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: The Winds of Change - Bull, Horse, Cow, Eagle, and Elephant Warning Ahead.
    ... solve each situation -  The scalar cryptography that I am saying is so ... and decrypt, respectively, and the keys for the so-called "private ... it happens too often in mathematics to be distictive enough for being ... in ciphertext and trying to make them intractable to adversaries by ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: The Winds of Change - Bull, Horse, Cow, Eagle, and Elephant Warning Ahead.
    ... solve each situation -  The scalar cryptography that I am saying is so ... and decrypt, respectively, and the keys for the so-called "private ... it happens too often in mathematics to be distictive enough for being ... in ciphertext and trying to make them intractable to adversaries by ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: "P vs. NP" and the future of public key crypto
    ... And most keys will be smaller ... a practical impact on cryptography, ... How many n^10000 algorithms for natural problems do you know ...
    (sci.crypt)